Does this heat map look legit?

MikeGoob

Real? Found it online...

tumblr_ob46spzmrd1rfnw5zo1_1280.gif

TailGator

Makes no sense at all to me to think that the whole pistol and the shooter's arm are hotter before the shot than during the cycle. This might be more like an artistic endeavor than a scientific one.

GJSchulze

I think it's accurate. Note, when fired, the area around the chamber becomes "white hot" compared to everything else. Just like a normal camera will decrease exposure if there is an area of extreme brightness, the infrared camera will show everything else as "cold" when the round fires. If the video continued we might see the heat signature return to its starting point.

stonewall50

Makes no sense at all to me to think that the whole pistol and the shooter's arm are hotter before the shot than during the cycle. This might be more like an artistic endeavor than a scientific one.

Actually it does make sense depending on what happens to the camera. If it is registering based on what the surrounding temps are and the background that is. Relative heat. I wonder...

Sent from my grapefruit using smoke signals.

FrankenMauser

Looks legit.

As for the arm and forward part of the slide appearing to be similar temperatures...
I'd guess that the pistol was either held by the end of the slide for a while prior to firing, or it had been sitting near a heat source (possibly just a light) and soaked up some heat.

Edit: Found the original video.

For anyone wondering about the scale shift/differential shift, here's another FLIR video of gunfire.

Is it just my aging eyes, or does anyone else think it seems to be ejecting a loaded, hollow-point round rather than an empty case?

Go to the original video on Youtube, run the slow-motion part, and step it through the ejection portion.

FrankenMauser

Nah.
What can appear to be a hollow point is just the 'warm' primer surrounded by a cold case head, after the casing has spun around off the extractor.

You can see a very well defined, square case mouth before the case head and warm primer spin into view.

Mal H

Staff
Right - that puzzled me for a few seconds also until I saw that what looked like a hollow point bullet still in the case was actually the primer. IOW, the case was backwards at that point.

Mike38

Looks to me like the scale changed after firing.

Yep! Before the shot, the "hot spots" in the picture were around 100 degrees. So they show hotter than anything else. During the shot, the "hot spots" change location so the old hot spots show cold as compared to the new ones.
I use a video temperature camera about once a week looking for hot spots in electrical wiring, circuit breakers, switching, etc. Every now and then, still to this day, those sudden changes throw me off.

Interesting image. Notice the hot particles flying back out of the ejection port, right into the shooters face? Safety glasses are important!