Does the term .45 Long Colt bother you?

Jim March

Nope. Back then, helped sort it out from the Schofield.

Today, go into a chain sporting goods store and ask for "45 Colt", 9 times out of 10 or better you'll get 45ACP handed to you.

I was kinda hoping somebody would say yes

And maybe explain what the big deal is.

I realize there never was officially a .45 Long Colt or .45 Short Colt - it was .45 Colt or .45 S&W or Schofield. But I don't see what it hurts to use the slang terms.

When my father was young the Peacemaker was still in wide spread use as a self-defense weapon in the East Texas Piney Woods, so I grew up hearing about the .45 Long Colt as the be all and end all of self defense handgun rounds.

Last edited:

SwampYankee

If you really want to read a discussion on this, try the search feature.

Everytime someone says "Long Colt" someone else gets bothered and it starts again.

I wish I had one of those cool animations of a dead horse being beat so I could post it right here....

zxcvbob

So which is better, 9mm or .45ACP? :evil:

I realize there never was officially a .45 Long Colt or .45 Short Colt - it was .45 Colt or .45 S&W or Schofield. But I don't see what it hurts to use the slang terms.
There was also an obsolete .45 Government (or maybe it was called .45 Colt Government, I don't have Cartridges of the World handy right now) that was the length of a .45 S&W but had the rim of a .45 Colt, so it would work in a Colt or an old Schofield -- it was the worst of both worlds! I personally think that's where the term "Long Colt" originated.

Whatever the etymology, it doesn't bother me. I usually say ".45 Colt". Sometimes I write it ".45LC", and if someone says ".45 Long Colt" I know what they are talking about.

45_Shooter

There was also an obsolete .45 Government (or maybe it was called .45 Colt Government, I don't have Cartridges of the World handy right now) that was the length of a .45 S&W but had the rim of a .45 Colt, so it would work in a Colt or an old Schofield -- it was the worst of both worlds! I personally think that's where the term "Long Colt" originated.

I thought the Gov't issued the .45 S&W in place of the .45 Colt for much of the late 1800's because the round would work in both SAA's and S&W Schofield revolvers.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Its kind of like drinking a great beer, no matter how you do it, its good.
As long as the good beer is in a LONGGGGGGGGG neck... "its good"!:D
And I use the term long colt almost exclusively as most, as previously stated, not on TFL will assume you mean .45 acp....
Brent

No more than I'm bothered by those who call magazines "clips."

My bugaboo is the common (though incorrect) practice of talking about ".45 caliber." It's 45 caliber. A .45 caliber would be just shy of half of 1/100th of an inch in diameter (0.0045").

p99guy

Doesn't bother me as much as asking for a box of .45colt and 9 out of 10 times being handed a box of .45acp lol
it just just avoids confusing clerks that know little about guns, and wasting my time correcting them...

Wobble

It makes a big difference when you are buying.

Looking for .45 Long Colt ammo, I've gone into more than a couple of gun shops or sporting good stores where the clerks were not too knowledgeable and asked for .45 Colt and was handed .45 ACP. I now always ask for .45 Long Colt (some clerks still don't know the difference even when asked that way).

It's even more frustrating if I'm looking for the same ammo in Cowboy loads for my 1858 Remmy conversion. Many stores don't even know what I'm talking about or don't know the difference.

w_houle

Depends on who's saying it: Mostly no, but when the shop resident "know-it-all" talks about it, I find it to be like fingernails on a chalkboard.

44 AMP

Staff
Considering that even Colt has used the term "Long Colt"

I think it is a valid name. I feel it is technically correct to refer to the round either by .45 Colt or .45 Long Colt.

Also recall that the .45ACP (automatic Colt pistol) was at one time commonly known as the Colt .45 or .45 Colt, and that for nearly half a century (and more) the only common .45 Auto pistol was the Colt! Just as the 9mm Luger is the 9mm Luger in the USA, because for many years the only pistols in that caliber were Lugers!

Clips vs magazines is a bit more clear cut, as there are clear definitions for each, however, there have been firearms companies that have cataloged their magazines as "clips", probably so even the uninformed would understand what they meant.

Engine and motor are clearly different terms, but are used interchangeably by some people in casual conversation. There are many other examples in English, all one can reasonably do is to remain calm, and be precise, explaining the difference when, and if, it makes a difference.

Good Luck!