Does Silver Bear .380 A. function well in a Sig 232/PPK?

As this would be only practice ammo, any questions about accuracy at 10-15 feet is not an issue. Not a concern for my Sig or German PPK.
Does the S.B. feed/fire ok in typical semi-auto handguns?

The current .25/rd. price indicated on Gunbot is what initiated this question.
Quite often the lower-priced ammo is unreliable in some guns for carry (yes, I'm very familiar with the warnings...), but is it a good value for Practice?

Am well aware of issues regarding exposure to moisture (my Mini 14 used S.B.), but it won't be stored more than a few weeks.

Last edited:

bamaranger

personally

Me, I'm a little leery of steel cased ammo in any quality firearm. A Mosin, an AK, sure, but a PPK or Sig?

As a German engineer once said "Schteel unt Schteel, ist nein goot, Ja? Zie Brassen unt Schteel IST goot!" Sorry, couldn't resist.

My logic is any steel, even mild steel used in cases, just seems like it is likely not to be as soft as a brass case, and that MAY translate into wear eventually. NOte, that's me, speculating. Maybe somebody who is truly informed will chime in. The SIG and PPK are classy autos, BTW, sleek.

Snyper

The only way to answer that question is to try it in that particular gun
All guns are "individuals" no matter what name is stamped on them

Just read the thread about the Glock and the Blazer to see it all depends on each individual gun

dogtown tom

bamaranger ....My logic is any steel, even mild steel used in cases, just seems like it is likely not to be as soft as a brass case, and that MAY translate into wear eventually.
By the time steel cased ammo wears out your gun, you'll have saved enough $$$ to buy one or more replacements.;)

Thanks very much.

Even a gun in such nice condition has had some serious feeding issues. A new mag (from the wrap: E-Bay) has improved it a good bit.
Ordered the Wolff spring kit to allow the slide to go further back with weaker springs, and could improve the FTFeed even more.

Saving a bit might not be worth risking some possible extra wear, with these other factors taken into account.

Evil Monkey

steel cased ammo and blow back pistols go together like bread and butter.

This is because the steel casings properties and how well blow back systems tolerate it.

The issue is that some Russian manufactured 380acp ammo will have the projectile be "straight" for a couple of millimeters extending from the mouth of the casing. The bullet is not tapered properly, basically speaking. So that part of the bullet upon feeding jams into the rifling and you get a failure to feed, because the slide is now not properly in battery.

Buy a box of tula, wolf, bear, barnual, etc, and see which works best.