Does rimlock only apply to 32 caliber?

omnibus1967

i've read about rimlock and i have a bersa 380. do i have to be concerned about rimlock??

also....could someone explain again how it happens?

thanks...........Bill

mavracer

A .380 is rimless so you don't need to worry about rim lock.
a 32 acp is a semi-rimmed case rimlock occours when the rim of the top cartridge in the mag slips behind the rim of the next one down so that the top cartridge is trying to bring the second with it locking things up.
It usually only happens when shorter JHPs are used in a mag designed for longer FMJs.
I have a Walther PP and a Seecamp I've never had either rimlock.But I always use FMJs in the PP and the seecamp has a spacer in the mag so JHPs just fit.

Hope this helps.

PS. 38 super is semi-rimmed and could Rim-lock but most ammo is kept near 1.260"

Bill DeShivs

The Super is semi rimmed, as well as the .25 auto.
I have been shooting all of these calibers for almost 40 years and have NEVER experienced rimlock. Rimlock seems to be caused more by inept loading than bullet design.

OldShooter

I have a collection of .32acp pistols and have shot them all without any locking up. I have had more trouble with 7.62x54R ammo in the Mosin Nagant. You won't have any trouble with the .380.

carguychris

I have a collection of .32acp pistols and have shot them all without any locking up. I have had more trouble with 7.62x54R ammo in the Mosin Nagant.
Shoving the top cartridge down HARD should make the 4th cartridge engage the interruptor, solving your rimlock problem. The interruptor/ejector holds down the next-to-top cartridge and makes rimlock impossible if it's functioning properly, but it takes a good hard push on the 5th cartridge to overcome the mag spring and engage it. You don't have to be gentle with it; you won't break it. Mosin-Nagant strong like anvil! ;)

It's also possible that your rifle has a damaged or incorrectly installed interruptor/ejector. It's the little sheetmetal doohicky that screws into the LH side of the receiver just under the stock.

Yes, I'm answering a rifle-related question in the Handgun forum, but thread drift happens. ;)