Does Redding Make Custom Dies

akinswi

Does anyone know if redding makes custom dies? I noticed that they do not make a competition seater die for 303 British. I have one for 30-06 and It works well.

The Lee Seater die I have for 303 British produces horrible runnout . Im talking 9 thousandths or worse . I am seating on my Forster Coax press.

Thanks

mikejonestkd

Before spending money chasing an end goal I usually ask myself " what are my expectations for this rifle?"
A good Enfield is about a 2-3" rifle, and an exceptional one might get under 2" groups at 100 yards
What are your current groups at 100 yards?

akinswi

Before spending money chasing an end goal I usually ask myself " what are my expectations for this rifle?"
A good Enfield is about a 2-3" rifle, and an exceptional one might get under 2" groups at 100 yards
What are your current groups at 100 yards?
Mike,

It shot 1 moa at 50 yards and that was new virgin brass, and I was working on load development. Now they are fireformed, I found a good node so now will see how they group at 100 yards.

It has a great bore so my goal is 1 moa at 100 yards.

These are with some cheap PPU 174 grain .311 projectiles (They Mic at .312) Im finding .311 to .312 bullets are really hard to find so this project may not last long.

mikejonestkd

You are consistently getting .5" 5 shot groups at 50 yards with your enfield?
I don't believe there is much room for improvement then

Akinswi,

Do you have the Lyman M-die for the .303? Usually, even with a problematic seating die, starting bullets into the seater straight up will go a long way toward correcting it. Midway has this die on clearance at the moment and only one left, so you might want to get it if you don't have it and you find this post in time.

scatterbrain

Have you checked the runout of your fired brass before sizing? Have you removed the neck sizing button from your Lee die, sized a case and checked the runout? This would give you an idea of where the problem lies. Trigger pull and sights may also help. If I had an Enfield shooting at 1/2 MOA at 50 yards I would be happy.

akinswi

the runout was better after I fire formed them.

@ unclenick

No but I do have one for 30-06 which I think they all use a standard 30R Mandrel
I bet the 2nd step would open it up enough to to seat the Bullet straighter. I did go ahead and neck size them, turning the brass a 1/4 turn for a total of 4 times it’s harder on the case neck but I can always anneal the necks.

For neck sizing only is it recommended to only anneal the necks and not the shoulder?

My 303 lee collet mandrel is at .3085 and the Lyman mandrel is at .307 on the first step