Does rainy weather make for quieter shooting?

Pond James Pond

Basically, I was curious as I my country cabin is in a hunting area. You do hear shots ringing out now and then.

Whilst most people won't be rushing outside in bad weather, I'm pretty sure it won't deter a hunter who's out to harvest meat.

Yet, I don't remember the last time I heard anyone shooting during rainy weather.

Is it because rain absorbs the sound more, or are the hunters simply staying dry?

Erno86

Low cloud cover keeps sound cadged from escaping into the upper atmosphere.

For example: If a train whistle sounds louder on low cloud cover day than a clear one --- It signifies that rain is potentially on the way.

Bart B.

Low cloud cover keeps sound cadged from escaping into the upper atmosphere.

For example: If a train whistle sounds louder on low cloud cover day than a clear one --- It signifies that rain is potentially on the way.
Why do we hear airplane's loud engine noise when they're flying way above big storm clouds dropping lots of rain?

For audible sounds the wavelength of the sound is much longer than the diameter of raindrops, individual raindrops are thus "invisible" to the sound wave, and therefore you may treat air with rain approximately as a uniform medium. Sound waves we hear are between .67 inch to 670 inches long. Rain drops and droplets are smaller:

https://www.usgs.gov/special-topic/water-science-school/science/raindrops-are-different-sizes

Last edited:

Bake

IMHO . . . You will hear less gunfire because there may be fewer hunters and the animals are bedded down more . . .

Bart B.

The maximum range of a firearm and/or cartridge, is usually measured in miles and means everything when safety zones behind the targets are required by local property laws.

Gunfire sound pressure levels in decibels at property perimeters are sometimes required.