Does position of the bipod matter

Bill Daniel

I positioned the bipod on my assembled Creedmoor 6.5 LR 308 nearest the balance point of the rifle (nearest the magazine) but when I see photo of bipods on most rifles they are positioned nearer to the muzzle. Does the position matter to accuracy especially when shooting prone?
Thanks,
All the best
Bill

American Man

I put my bipod as far forward as possible. It could make more of a difference if bad habits or technique come into play. Any movement, to include heartbeat, can have an effect on sight acquisition. Get behind it and do some dry firing. I'm sure you'll see the further forward, the better.

rickyrick

I would think the closer the bipod is to the shooter the movement of the muzzle end of the barrel would be greater in relationship to movement at the stock end.

raimius

A neutral balance point mount will enable it to pivot vertically VERY easily. This will cause more user induced movement. Placing the bipod further forward will help you stabilize the rifle better.

TXAZ

The long range bipod competition shooters often have an extension to push it out as far forward as possible.

bamaranger

bipods

I'd think bipod position likey does not effect the mechanical accuracy of the rifle as long as it does not effect barrel bedding or harmonics. But one's ability to shoot accurately with a rearward bipod is going to be noticeably compromised. As noted, competition shooting whether practical rifle, F-TR, or whatever, places the bipod well forward on the rifle. Never on the barrel either.

T. O'Heir

Bipods go on the front sling swivel or near it as they are about holding the weight up. Having the thing closer to the shooter changes the balance.
You can fiddle/test/feel the balance by lying prone without a bipod and moving your arm/hand back and forth on the forestock.

As close to the muzzle as you can get it, the better. As others said, any movement on the shooters end is lessened on the muzzle end this way, leading to better overall accuracy. It won’t make the rifle shoot better, but may make the shooter shoot better.

MagnumWill

^^ everyone here is talking about shooting static targets.

The closer the bipod is to you, the more range of motion you have on the muzzle without having to reposition yourself.

If you're shooting for groups at 100+ yards, put it as far away from you as possible. If you're going to be doing more awkward shooting with moving targets, closer may work better.

Last edited:

Willie Lowman

MagnumWill got it.

IF you expect to need to swing the rifle about while it is on the bipod, the closer it is, the better range of movement you will be allowed. Placing the bipod at the muzzle end will give the most stability for shooting tight groups but will restrict the range of movement.

The 23E I had had two rings to mount the bipod. One at the muzzle and the other back by the barrel trunion right in front of the feed box. The front mount allowed for tight accurate bursts on target where as the rear mount allowed the gun to be swung around from target to target more easily.

MagnumWill is assuming the use of only a fixed position bipod. There are plenty of full motion bipods that allow you to scan and tilt so you can shoot off unlevel ground/rest, as well as follow moving targets without moving bipod on rifle or where it is rested on the ground. Which is what a person who is hunting should be using, imho. If you are going for max accuracy on static targets, yes a fixed bipod, mounted as far out as possible, is best.

44 AMP

Staff
Simple test to illustrate the point. Take a pen, pencil, ruler, etc, hold it at the far (muzzle) end, move the near (butt) end a little, see how much the muzzle end moves.

Repeat but hold it in the middle or close to the butt end, and see how much the muzzle end moves.

If you need a lot of muzzle swing, relative to butt movement, place the pivot point closer to the butt. If you want the muzzle to remain stable, relative to butt movement put the pivot point closer to the muzzle.

HankC1

Most people says putting bipod as far away as possible, but rest as close to CG as possible if shooting from a bench rest, why the difference?

Bill Daniel

Hi Ernie. Just target. My only game are turkey and White Tail deer. My hunting rifle is a lever action 45-70 so I limit my shots to 150 yards or less.
All the best,
Bill