Does my technique sound right?

tjhands

OK, I will admit that I've never had a shooting lesson in my life, and have only been shooting for a couple months now, but I HAVE read a lot on the subject on the internet. Naturally I realize that only so much can be gleaned by reading alone, but let me describe to you how I shoot.

I use the Weaver stance and do a strong-arm-push, weak-arm-pull while aiming the gun (recently acquired 9mm and .45ACP). I grip the gun almost as tightly as I can - no shaking -, and take a normal breath and hold it while sloooowly squeezing the trigger. My eye is on the front sight, with the target being slightly out of focus in the distance. I have turned my back while a friend chooses whether or not to put a cartridge in the gun. I figured that by doing this I could tell whether or not I am flinching on the pulls that do not have a cartridge chambered. There is no flinching, just a click. Actually, I surprised myself a LOT when I first started shooting handguns a few months ago. At 50ft, I was hitting the paper on all my shots with the 9mm and have gotten better since then. I'm now getting 6 - 7 inch groups with the .45 at 50ft.

The thing is that my arms are getting very tired at the end of the shooting sessions - 50 rounds or so. Am I doing the push-pull thing too hard? I am in good physical shape....exercising 3X a week, but I'm wondering if you all get fatigued as well. Sorry such a loooong post. Thanks.

If there's anything else you can add to help my technique, it'd be appreciated. Are there any links you can provide that go through step-by-step? I just got the information a little here and a little there.

Blind Tree Frog

I was told when I first started shooting that you want toshoot just before you take a breath. If you are holding your breath or holding no breath, it deprives your body of oxygen and may affect your shooting.

txinvestigator

You probably are gripping too tightly. I don't do competition type target shooting, so I don't hold my breath either. That can also cause you to become tired. Breath normally.

You also do not want to squeeze the trigger, as that tends to make you pull the barrel to the side as you do.

You want the first pad of your finger on the trigger, no more finger than that. Think of pressing the trigger straight to the rear.

AT 16 yards you should be able to get tighter groups.

And once again, I strongly suggest professional training.

Shorts

I also shoot in between breaths. Learned that shooting rifles with dad. Breath in normal, then breath out, the SHOOT in the pause right before your next breath. It should be smooth breathing so that you stay steady on the sights and target.

As for fatigue, hold steady, but don't strain to hold steady, does that make sense? Your arms must get used to movements and such. But you said you a in shape and workout, just stick with it and relax the muscles. That should help out a bit. Don't be too rigid.

txinvestigator

Squeeze or push. Same thing
It is really not. When you squeeze with you hand, the barrel tends to move to the side. Using the finger only and pressing to the rear is the proper technique.

This simple technique often improves students accuracy. Out of the below elements in accuracy, trigger control and sight alignment are the 2 most critical.

1. Stance
2. Grip
3. Sight Picture
4. Sight Alignment
5. Trigger Control
6. Breathing
7. Follow Through

Blind Tree Frog

not squeezing with the hand, squeezing the finger. I've had many say the exact same thing you said about the trigger pull and call it squeeze, you're the first one I've ever heard say push, but the technique is the same.

The barrel pushes to the side if your finger isn't aligned correctly and you pull or push to the side as your finger moves.

mextraveller

strength training

I won't try to give advice on technique, but I can tell you from experience that exercise can bring about great improvements in almost any sport/activity. Upper body, arm and wrist strength are all very critical when shooting combat handguns (45 acp, etc.). I have found that working the chest and shoulders hard with heavy dumbells (by "heavy", I mean something that is appropriate for you) - military presses, lateral raises, and especially front raises, as well as dumbell bench presses from different of angles elevation are all very beneficial in improving handgun control. Also, wrist curls/reverse wrist curls with a barbell and working the hands with a spring-loaded hand exerciser are critical. Running and cardiovascular activity wil round out the "program". Even experienced shooters who feel they have reached their pinnacle can benefit......weight lifting & strength training can take almost anyone to a higher level. I apologize about straying off the subject.

tjhands

Thanks, guys.
As far the trigger "squeeze,"....I guess I chose the wrong word. I meant that I'm not being jerky at all with the trigger. I squeeze it as slowly as I can and am surprised at the blast every time.

I know I'll probably get better groups in the future, but right now I want to get my FORM down correctly and let the tight groups follow.

Also, what exactly is "follow through?" After the shot is fired, I just line 'er up again and repeat. Am I missing something?

Lastly, where does one go to get prefessional training? I don't know where to start.

txinvestigator

You cannot "squeeze" your finger. But I am only a Texas DPS CHL, and Texas Private Security Board Firearms Instructor, and attend at least 4 shooting schools a year where I am the student. But as Dr Phil says, "Don't substitute my advice for your own judgement." ;)

and TJ, no harm meant, but if your form was correct your groups would be tighter. You might also try moving the target up to about 7 yards. Get proficient there, then increase your distance.

Try looking for instructors from the NRA, or your local range.

Blind Tree Frog

You also can't push your finger in that direction since it's a pulling motion :p

(And just going for the ribbing now. As far as I'm concerned people can call it whichever they want)

jcnesqmba

start with gradually increasing pressure

If your new,(kinda like me) I would concentrate on keeping the sights EXACTLY aligned on your target. Then, apply gradually increasing pressure on the trigger, all the while not letting your sights deviate from the target. Increase pressure until the handgun fires. At first you may not know exactly when it fires but when it does, you will hit your target dead on. This exercise will keep you trigger pull straight and later you can more deliberately fire the weapon.

Again, Im only about 6 years into shooting, but I can usually, well ok how about 75% of the time, keep up with the old boys.

I never got the "sqeeze vs. pull" distinction either. Just dont move your gun when you fire.