Does my S&W AR Sport II have the M2 buttstock?

Stock factory rifle, bought 'nib' retail about two months ago. The Owner's Manual, as with a few Google excerpts, only states "collapsible".

I can't really get used to the short stock (fully extended) and Midway has a Choate 1&1/4" recoil pad which would extend it, but these only fit M2s.

If the choate can't easily go on my S&W Sport, is there another lower-cost brand (approx. 1" increase in L.O.P.) which is very simple to install?

Last edited:

radir68

I have the first sport model from S&W. I installed one from Limbsaver that fit good. They are more money but seemed to be the thickest one I could find

Mobuck

There is such an EXTREME number of variables in the "collapsible" stock marketplace that finding much interchangeability is rare. We found an add-on pad that fits "military style" buttplate dimensions but it's only about 1/2" thick.

ATW525

The Choate recoil pad is for an A2 stock. This is the fixed rifle stock introduced on the M16A2, not the collapsible carbine stock found on your S&W Sport.

wpsdlrg

Got news for you, but the A2 fixed buttstocks have no greater LOP than the telescoping M4 style buttstocks (fully extended). In fact, the A2 is slightly shorter.

If you truly need a LOP greater than that offered by either the M4 style or the fixed A2, you'll need to look far and wide. A thicker buttpad, or a "customized" stock are about the only options.

Oh, I do think that the Boyd's laminated buttstocks have a standard LOP of 13 3/4"....but the last time I measured, the Magpul MOE I had on my rifle at the time had just about the same LOP.

Ibmikey

Ignition, On many of my Magpul CTR or other model stocks i order their enhanced buttpad and replace the existing one giving about 3/4" extra length. I am 6-2 and have long arms, this change works really well for me. The same pad fits a wide number of their stocks but be carefukpl as Magpul has three different butpads.