Does my gun have MIM in it?

defjon

I bought a Colt Series 70, the start of the seriel number is "70b", I did a check, and it was made in 79', if I recall. So, it is an older gun. Are the parts MIM like most modern production guns? Just curious. I know a lot of people have no problems with MIM.

defjon

I also heard my production run of the 70 series was prone to various problems, it was a spotty run. So far I've put maybe a hundred rounds down range, and no hiccups whatsoever. Tis a bit rattlely, though!

defjon

Done some more research, and it seems to be that MIM wasn't introduced until the early 1990's...

Anyone know if that is true?

Again curious if a series 70 colt has mim internals

thanks

DPris

Member Emeritus
If your pistol was made in '79 it does not have any MIM parts in it unless they were added later on as replacements.
Denis

Musketeer

MIM has only begun being used widely in the last decade or so. Colt is not one know to innovate (their newest handgun design being dated from 1911) so I would say you are safe.

Rangegod

No MIM in an original Series 70 but it does have cast parts. Back in late 74 or early 75 my thumb safety snapped in two as I sat at the kitchen table cleaning my (then) new prized Colt Series 70. Still have the gun and it still rattles like new. (LOL)

JAC