Does Enlarging the Flash Hole on Lapua 6.5 Creedmoor Brass Matter?

ed308

I accidentally ran 100 cases of Lapua 6.5 CM brass through my FW Arms decapper the other day. I normally use a Harvey decapper specifically for that brass since it has a smaller decapping pin. Anybody done this? And more importantly, does it affect accuracy?

Are you saying you forced an oversize pin through the flash hole? If so, you may have pushed the web around the hole down into the primer pocket. Running it through a primer pocket swager could straighten that out.

Lapua and others claim the smaller flash hole makes for better accuracy by improving ignition consistency, though I've seen one study show a fatter hole did better with some components. So, you could also ignore the matter and just see how it shoots for you.

hounddawg

since it is a done deal the only real alternative is load up 10 or 15 and shoot them. The target will tell you what you need to know. My guess is I doubt you will see any difference unless you are a .1 MOA or better shooter. Therer are lots of 6.5 CM being shot with regular flash holes

ed308

Let’s hope so. That FW Arms decapper went through the flash hole like it was butter. If it shots .5 MOA I’ll be happy. That brass was bought to convert into 270AR. But I got different brass for that wildcat that is easier to convert.

Last edited: