Does Anyone Use Accurate #2 or #7?

riverwalker76

I'm looking to consolidate my powders on the next purchase, and use more of the same powder for crossovers.

I reload 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP.

Can you give me any input on Accurate #2 and/or Accurate #7?

I'm looking for both low recoil and target applications for all of the calibers listed.

Thanks.

Loader9

If you really want to consolidate, I've found that AA#5 works in all you listed exceptionally well. It works great for accuracy, meters like water, extremely clean burning- what's not to like?

rg1

I would agree that if you want to use Accurate powder for the 3 calibers you mentioned, I'd simplify by using Accurate #5 which works well in all 3. I like #2 for .380 and for .38 Special and don't use #7 for anything I load.

sidewindr

same here with AA #5, great powder,isn't reliant on "hot" loads to burn clean,very vercitile, AA#2 works well also though and can technically be loaded in all 3 rounds,but I've noticed more unburnt granuals scattered in my guns with it, so I lean toward AA#5

m&p45acp10+1

I have not used those powders yet. Though when I get low on powder I will be getting some AA #5.

I have had exelent results with AA#9 in my .41 mag. As well as using 2015 for .221 fireball, and .223 rem with outstanding results. All burn very clean.

I have become a convert to Acurate Powders

armoredman

I have been using #7 for years in 9mm, and am quite happy with it. #2 is for 38 Special, and #5 was adequate for both.

WARNING, WARNING WARNING!!!!!

Accurate just changed ALL their loading data based on a new testing system, please download their newest load data from their website. BIG changes in every caliber, including 9mm.

zxcvbob

I bought 16 pounds of Israeli military pulldown powder a few years ago (cheap!) that is basically a faster-burning lot of AA#7. I absolutely love it in .357 Magnum -- enough so that I wish I had bought 32#. Haven't tried it in .41 Magnum or .45 Colt +P yet.

AA#7 is supposed to be one of the highest performing powders there is for 9mm, but it takes a lot of powder to get there. Power Pistol is really close and more economical to use. But neither #7 nor PP will be any good at all for "low recoil and target applications" (try Red Dot or Promo for that.) The AA#2 you mentioned would be worth a try.

Nosparetime

You all ready got good advice. AA#5 would work in all those calibers. I like #2 in 9mm and #7 is my favorite 357 mid range load.

If I want max loads for magnum pistol I use #9. And #9 is the only powder I use in 30 carbine.

flashhole

I can't add much to this discussion but I want to see the comments. I use AA#7 in my 40 S&W with excellent results using my own 175 grain cast bullets. My 0.5cc Lee Dipper Cup provides a charge just above the low end of the charge range. ~7.8 grains. Burns clean and loads are accurate out of my Taurus Millenium.

Semper Paratus

My experience with AA#7 is that in light loads it is very messy. It leaves a lot of unburned or partially burned powder in the pistol, and is fairly inconsistent. When you get it up into a near hot to hot load it cleans up tremendously and is much more consistent. I've largely given up in AA#7 and have been using Universal Clays for .38 Spcl, .45 ACP, .44 SPCL, and will be using it in 9mm once my brass collection will support reloading.

griz

When I used to load a lot more 9MM I used a couple pounds of #7 and it was great in that cal. #2 (and #5) I have used in 38 and 45 ACP for which they are well suited. I don't load 40, but it sounds as if those two powders, or just #5, would be great for your uses.

Peter M. Eick

I think you really want AA5 for those calibers. AA2 is a 38 special powder and aa7 is more of a 10mm/ 357 magnum powder.

Some of my best accurate loads in 40 have come from AA5 and a winchester 165 grn JHP.

medalguy

I located a supply of AA #5 a couple of years ago and bought all the guy had, nearly 20 pounds. I have used it for 9mm, 380, 30 Special, and 45 ACP and gotten very good results in all calibers with a little bit of fine tuning of loads. This is about as versatile a powder as Unique and it measures better and is lots cleaner shooting. Great powder.

I also got some #2 and #7 as well but only a few pounds. In my opinion the line of AA is some of the best powder around for pistol.

riverwalker76

Thanks for all of the replies.

I decided to go with Accurate #5, and will know if I like the powder by next weekend.

One of my reasons for choosing Accurate #5 was because of it's versatility with ALL of my load choices. I load 9mm, 115 gr. JHP all the way up to .45 ACP, 230 gr. TC Lead Bullets. This was the only powder that would handle the @12 various bullet loads that I like to load between 9, 40, & 45.

Thanks again for the replies.