Does anyone reload .30 Carbine?

I'm still slogging along with my dummy rounds display box project. I have the rimfire collection under control, with thanks to a couple of people who have been kind enough to make up things like .22 Hornet, that I don't reload. All that's left is to get to the range and pop off a few .22 Magnums to get some .22 Magnum brass.

I'm also working on a similar display for .30 caliber (nominal) rifle cartridges. I have most of the more prevalent cartridges covered: .30-30, .308, .30-06, 7.62x39, and a friend contributed .300 Blackout.

What I'm missing is .30 Carbine. If anyone here reloads .30 carbine and would be willing to make up a half dozen dummy rounds (no powder, no primer), I will be very happy to reimburse the cost of brass, bullets, and postage.

A little more off the beaten path -- if anyone loads 7.62x54R I'd love to get a half dozen of those to include in the displays.

If anyone can do either of those, please contact me by PM. Thank you.

LeverGunFan said:
Have you looked at the 30 Carbine dummy rounds that Brownells sells?
It never occurred to me to look there. Stupid me -- I just sent in an order a couple of days ago; if I had known about these, I'm sure they wouldn't have increased the shipping cost at all.

butthead.gif

Thanks.

LeverGunFan

Been there, done that.... at least Brownells has a $4.95 shipping option to lessen the pain.

There is someone on eBay that sells dummy rounds, including 30 Carbine, and they have options for the primers. There are a variety of cartridges they offer, including sets of US military cartridges that would make a nice display.

Update, if anyone is interested. I was at the range yesterday and found some .22 Magnum brass in the brass bucket. The range owner is a friend of some 20 years, so he was cool with letting me grab a fistful of the stuff. Last night I cut some of them down to .22 WRF case length. Technically, the case diameter is different by a couple of thousandths but, for a display such as this, it doesn't matter. And I found some bullets that are pretty close to .22 magnum bullets.

Photos attached of the prototype. To stick the rounds into the box I used some glue dots that come on a roll in a dispenser. I'm not very happy with that as a solution -- as you can see if the photos, between last night and this afternoon the .22 Long cartridge already shifted. So I'll have to investigate alternates for adhesives before I start the .30 caliber prototype. Maybe clear silicone auto adhesive for the auto parts store?

And I need to use a temporary spacer to get the case heads aligned as I set them in the boxes.

Altogether, though, I think it's coming together [fairly] nicely.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC00487.JPG
    DSC00487.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 311
  • DSC00488.JPG
    DSC00488.JPG
    206.9 KB · Views: 307

big al hunter

Not sure if it will stick to the plastic and the brass, but have you tried hot glue yet? It would not allow shifting after a few seconds of cooling.

big al hunter said:
Not sure if it will stick to the plastic and the brass, but have you tried hot glue yet? It would not allow shifting after a few seconds of cooling.
Nope -- I don't have a hot glue gun.

I'm going to try clear silicone sealant from the auto parts store.

FrankenMauser

Sevens reloads .30 Carbine, as well as quite a few other members.
But I bring him up because he's a good dude, and might be willing to spare a dummy for you.

ms6852

Try using rubber cement, don't sniff it. Great thing about this product is that it will items in place and when your ready to remove items the rubber cement peels off.

TX Nimrod

A better solution is E6000, a transparent industrial strength adhesive which sticks to most surfaces. It’s clear and while it adheres very strongly it can be removed/peeled off if desired. Available through Amazon, Walmart, etc. it’s even made in the USA.

Attachments

• F3B174BB-A95F-43D7-99B1-15F31E9AF2C2.jpeg
    F3B174BB-A95F-43D7-99B1-15F31E9AF2C2.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 11
TX Nimrod said:
A better solution is E6000, a transparent industrial strength adhesive which sticks to most surfaces. It’s clear and while it adheres very strongly it can be removed/peeled off if desired. Available through Amazon, Walmart, etc. it’s even made in the USA.
That looks like exactly what I need. Many thanks.

[Off to fire up Amazon]
bolt.gif

zxcvbob

Did you ever find your .30 Carbine dummies? I used to reload .30 Carbine for a Ruger Blackhawk. I sill have brass and dies somewhere and might have some bullets. But it will take some work to find them, that's why I haven't chimed in yet.

Bringing this thread back again for a further update:

I now have dummies of all the rounds I want to include in the .22 displays. I made up a prototype and gave it to a fellow instructor friend. He liked it. I wasn't happy with the performance of the dry transfer glue dots I used for that one so, before making up more, I'm looking for other choices for the adhesive.

Meanwhile, I'll gathering up dummies for the .30 caliber rifle display. The ones from Brownells haven't arrived yet, but they should be here Monday or Tuesday. A care package arrived yesterday with five each in .300 Winchester Short Magnum (and .44-40, but that's for another box). I'm happy to have these, but I am not impressed with the quality of what I received. I don't remember the name of the web site from which I ordered them so I can't post it -- which is just as well, because I wouldn't have anything good to say. The web site claims they are veterans. As a veteran, I'm all about supporting veteran-owned and veteran-operated enterprises but I'm not going to recommend veteran-owned or operated enterpsises that do lousy work.

The rounds were obviously loaded using fired bass, not new. That's okay -- but these things look like they were dropped in a mud puddle and left there for a month. They are filthy, they clearly hadn't even been tumbled. Even the bullets are badly tarnished. When I unwrapped them dirt fell out of the baggies, and the bullet in one of the .44-40 samples had gone into the case crooked (or wasn't round), so there's a lead "tag" overhanging the mouth of the case.

"Disappointed" doesn't begin to describe it. It's going to take me more time to clean them up than it would have taken me to load them if I had access to the brass and bullets.

Armorer 101

Try a Scotch Brite pad cut into small squares and a cordless drill with a hand tightened chuck. It will polish a loaded or dummy right up. If you want to keep a polished look, spray with clear lacquer.

You might try a #8/#6 tap and machine screw in the flash hole, attach to wall of box.

jag2

Just came across this, I could do your 30 carbine. New Starline brass, I could go ahead and prime it then fire it and then place the bullet, 110 grn. soft point. I also load 30 Mauser but that is a pistol round so that may not interest you. Solved the glue problem yet?

Thanks, jag2. Package arrived from Brownells yesterday with .30 Carbine dummies, so I'm all set.

Package also arrived from Amazon with some Gorilla brand double-sided foam tape, and some clear silicone. Haven't had time to test either -- I had to update a computer to Windows 10 release 2004 (took 25 hours!) and then get Microsoft Teams installed and working.