Does anyone produce brass-cased buckshot?

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
I am looking for 00 buck similar to what was issued during the end of WW1, end of WW2 and Vietnam War. The closest I found were steel-cased .410 rounds made in Russia. Can anyone advise me on this?

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
The last military brass hulls I saw were going for collector's prices, Oleg. Good luck, but I doubt there's much out there any more.

C.R.Sam

I have never seen loaded buck in brass. Have loaded a lot of 12ga shot in brass over the years. Need larger sized wads due to the thinner case. Cases last nearly indefinately. Last new brass I have noticed was from Norma.

Sam

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
I kept reading about brass cases being more water-resistent than plastic or paper hulls...thought I'd try a few.

C.R.Sam

Just like plastic, the watertight integrity will depend on the seal of the top wad or crimp. Wad for brass of course. One of the joys of brass hulls is you don't have to crimp them. With reasonable loads they will last for hundreds of reloadings.

Sam

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
I had some of the GI stuff back around 1970. I wish I had kept the empties.

It must be the startup cost and limited market that keeps anyone from bringing out new all brass.
Between the Vintagers and the Cowboy shooting folks, I think there's a niche.

If I had an antique shooter(Steel bbls, checked out by a good smith first), I think it'd be a hoot to shoot same with light and low pressure loads in all brass hulls. Some old reloading setups have wadcutter punches for making those oversize wads.

K80Geoff

Ammoman has some USAF survival rounds in 410 that are aluminum!

http://www.ammoman.com/

Scroll down on the "ODD LOTS" page to find them. They come in a package with 22 hornet rounds. Ammo was designed for survival guns. Have no idea if you can reload these hulls. Kind of pricey if you ask me. :(

cpileri

On the barnaul site, lots of gauges are listed...

I would imaging the importer who is supplying the 410ga steel shells can get the other ga's as well.
Anyone tried?
C-

Any Cal.

One of the gun rags said that you could put silicone over the top wad as a type of crimp and to waterproof. Don't know about the primer pocket though. Never tried it myself but thought it would be cool.

Jack Carson

What Dick Holliday said!

I have seen them for sale at the vendor's tables at Cowboy Action Shoots. Don't know if they were home brewed reloads or not. This is probably your best bet for finding them.
Good Luck,
Jack

jthuang

Oleg, another possibility is the brass 12 gauge buckshot shells that HK made for the CAWS military shotgun system back in the early 1980s. The CAWS was a bull-pup style shotgun with detachable magazine and integral scope built into the carry handle -- which used brass-cased shells. AFAIK the CAWS was never put into full production but maybe some of the shells for it are floating out there.

Justin

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
Worse case, Oleg, I've a few "new-from-the-mid-50s" about the house & will pitch you a couple for collector's sake ..... just a thanks for the work you do for The Cause.

Full-brass, 00 buck for the asking. Drop a line, Sir.