Does anyone load .357 Sig?

briandg

Just curious. Seems to me that it might be a huge pain. I've been dumping it into scrap. If there's a point in it, ill just start bagging it up.

ligonierbill

Sure, why not. The only hassle is lubing cases, but folks avoid that by running them through a carbide .40 S&W die first. A reasonable dose of AA#9, and you're in business. It makes $ense, too. If you shoot this round, you won't find big boxes of practice ammo on sale at the local sporting goods.

briandg

It was that lube issue that bugged me. I can't load more f
Than 100 or so rifle rounds in a session, can't help feeling the headache forming already jus thinking about it.

The trick with the forty die is clever.

9x45

First of all, you don't need case lube for the .357SIG, nor do you have to trim the cases. I use once fired Speer brass, no lube, just what's left from the tumbling in corn with NuFinish car polish. Dillon 550 with .357SIG Dillon dies, except for the Lee factory crimp die (floating). My load is any of these 3 bullets, Montana Gold JHP, Bayou TC, Hornady XTP, on top of 7.8 grains of BE-86 at 1.140" for the Montana and XTP, 1.170" for the Bayou (in a Glock). You do have to have the right shape bullet for the .357SIG because of the short neck. The 125's go about 1,440fps out of a G31

image37304.jpg

image37370.jpg

Last edited:

briandg

You couldn't pull off that unlubricated trick with just any die.

Th.38 super and the Sig always sounded good, and a 1911 or other solidly built pistol must be one of the perfect weapons.

Before anyone spazzes out that it's not the best, that doesn't matter. Perfection comes in many forms and shapes. I've seen hundreds of perfect women in my life.

Jwilson904

I reload alot of 357 sig. I just use hornady one shot lube.

It can be a little difficult untill you figure it out then your good to go.

Also never trimmed any. Bullet selection is key also.

9x45

briandq, don't believe what people repeat on the internet. You can reload the .357SIG without using case lube, as you can reload 38 Super, or any other pistol caliber without using case lube. Now case lube does reduce the amount of force required to cycle the press, but it is not needed, and it's a PITA to clean off. Like I said, my Dillon 550 uses standard Dillon dies for deprime/resize and seating, and a Lee for crimp. I have re-loaded over 7,000 rounds of .357SIG in 3 years for my G31 carry guns, which I only shoot classifiers with, and over 400,000 9mm and .45acp rounds since 1992, when I stopped shooting 1911's and switched to Glocks, all without case lube, forUSPSA/IDPA/Steel Challenge and 3 gun.

What do you reload?

Ruger45LC

I do reload for it some, I don't shoot it a lot but I do reload for it. My main interest as odd as it may sound, is using .357" bullets in it, mainly the 125, 140 and 158gr XTP bullets. They're designed for high speeds and that's good, from my 6" KKM barrel (in G35) I've ran the 158gr XTP to around 1450 fps (using 800X @ 1.140" CCI SP) which isn't bad considering my hottest .357 Mag (6.5" Blackhawk) will shoot the same 158gr XTP to about 1500 fps (using 300MP).

It's a cool cartridge. BTW I do lube mine but I use so little that I might as well not use any.

9x45

Ruger, I only see load data for .355" diameter 147 XTP's using 9.0 grains of 800x on Hodgdon's website to get 1,320 fps (4" barrel). How many grains did you put behind the 158 XTP? Even for a 6" barrel, that's smoking for a heavy bullet, not to mention it makes a 229 floor! I just shot a local action match with my G31 running the 125's, about 135 rounds, and my fingers were sore, and I'm only running a 180 floor.

Clark

I have tried to compile a list of cartridges I should never have tried to talk anyone out of:
357 SIG [use 9x19]
10mm [use 40sw]
32 Win Special [use 30-30]
7mm Mashburn [use 7mmRM]
338 Lapua [use 338WM]
338 Edge [use 338WM]
FN 5.57 [use BB gun]
45 Win Mag [use 45acp]
17HMR [use 223]

If I ever start to repeat any of those mistakes, please remind me.

9x45

Clark, I don't get your .357SIG use 9x19. The hottest 9mm on the planet running 9mm Major Open USPSA can't touch a .357SIG for the same weight bullet. The SIG has allot more case capacity.

9x45

"Post number 4 was on this planet." What does that mean, or have to do with anything, especially what does that have to do with a .357SIG? The previous question was to Ruger about 800x behind a 158gr XTP in a .357SIG, not a 9mm and not to you.

Clark

Where was that list of cartridges I should never try to talk fans out of?
I think I fell off the wagon:(