Does anyone know of quality 9mm JHPs sized .356?

Jim March

Maurice the FrankenRuger is now a 9mm revolver. Barrel is a true .355" section of Douglas Premium barrel, cylinder is from a Bowen blank done with a Manson finish reamer and the final "long throats" were done with a chucking reamer in .3555".

I used that reamer because I was getting mixed opinions as to whether to go with .355" or .356"...it seemed to split the difference. Now I'm kinda questioning that. It seems likely that even professionally done on a good mill, there might have been enough slop to take it to .356". The main ammo I've used for the initial functionality tests were 115gr Remington cheap-crap JHPs. On pulling one it slips through my throats very easily - likely it's a .355" slug.

Accuracy has been "combat grade acceptable" but I think I can do better - and bullets sized .356" seem like a starting point.

I am tempted to score some of Penn's double-ended 100gr wadcutters meant for 38Spl use, with the optional .356" sizing. That would likely increase my magazine capacity by at least one round, maybe two :). This critter should feed them just fine. Oh, and if you don't know about my insane magazine-fed revolver yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4XtVldNbO4

Anyways. Speer's website for reloading components says the Gold Dots for 9mm are sized .355" in all weights. Hornady does likewise. Anybody know of any alternatives?

I'm almost considering getting a resizing die to take .357" parts down to .356". IN FACT...wait...I still have the same chucking reamer, right? So...holy crap...I could MAKE ONE, couldn't I? Why the hell not? OF COURSE! I could make a resizing tool out of leftover cold rolled steel, stick it in the lathe...drill it, ream it, put a "throat" on it of sorts...cram bullets through it with an aluminum rod and a rubber mallet...buy .357 slugs and re-size em.

Would this work?

wpsdlrg

If you are interested in shooting CAST bullets, then going 0.002" over groove dia. (0.357" in this case), generally is no problem. So, don't necessarily get stuck on the notion that you MUST have 0.356" bullets.

With jacketed bullets, it is customary to use ones the same as groove dia. (as you probably already know). Anything larger than groove dia. will increase chamber pressures, usually quite a lot. So, be CAREFUL with this. If your barrel is truly 0.355" (groove), then you SHOULD shoot 0.355" jacketed bullets.

If using light loads, you might get away with 0.356" jacketed....but as I said, be CAREFUL !

sargenv

I think Montana Gold offers a JHP design sized .356" specifically for the slightly larger 38 Super cartridge..

Jim March

http://www.hornady.com/store/9mm-.356-125-GR-HAP - yeah, that's a pure target load. I want a defense load.

wpsdlrg: remember that this is a converted 357Magnum with a massive oversize Bowen cylinder blank that could easily be chambered as a 41Mag so...I can deal with a bit extra pressure, esp. as I intend to stick with standard-pressure 9mm while learning.