Does anyone know about the .32 cal. Beretta 70 Puma?

HMC8404

Hello, I found a LNIB Beretta 70 Puma which I really like the looks of. It has serial # 11540. Does anyone know how well this gun functions, and what year and value you would put it at? I am having trouble finding the answers. Any help is appreciated!

James K

Member In Memoriam
I have seen them sell for $400, which I consider at least $100 too high, but it depends on how much someone wants one. They are single action pistols, basically an updated and streamlined version of the Beretta Model 1934/1935. The Puma was the alloy-frame .32 caliber version, the Cougar was the steel-frame .380. They date from the 1970's, but both are discontinued.

They are well made guns, but as with any .32 or .380 pistols of that era, reliability should be judged with standard FMJ ammo only. They might work perfectly with other ammo, but should be checked out with at least 200 rounds of the ammo of choice before trusting the gun for serious purposes.

Jim

carguychris

James K said:
The Puma was the alloy-frame .32 caliber version, the Cougar was the steel-frame .380. They date from the 1970's, but both are discontinued.
AFAIK this is only partially correct if you're discussing the .32 Puma version.

This gun was sold in both steel and alloy frame versions, contrary to some incorrect info published in the Blue Book and elsewhere.

With the shorter 3.5" barrel that projects only a short distance from the slide, and a 5-digit serial number with no prefix, the gun is most likely an import from before the Gun Control Act went into effect in 1968. The 68 GCA made the Model 70 Puma unlawful to import with its short barrel and a fixed rear sight, so Beretta replaced it with the slow-selling and consequently rather uncommon Model 70T (aka Model 100) with a 6" barrel and an adjustable rear sight. 1966 and later Series 70's have an alphabetical prefix, which was joined in 1972 by an alphabetical suffix indicating caliber, which in the case of a Series 70 would be U = .22 LR, W = .32 ACP, Y = .380 ACP.

Given that the OP mentions that the gun is a Model 70 (no "T") and does not mention any serial prefix or suffix, I think it's a 1966 or earlier gun.

FWIW Beretta transitioned from a grip-mounted crossbolt safety (which most American pistol shooters disdain) to a more conventional frame-mounted up-down thumb lever in mid-1968. This gun presumably has the crossbolt. AFAIK there is no way to change from one to the other.

Loads more info on the Series 70 can be found here:

http://berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=95801
James K said:
I have seen them sell for $400, which I consider at least $100 too high, but it depends on how much someone wants one.
These guns have a cult following, and their value seems to be on the upswing. However, the crossbolt Puma is just about the most common version, and as with most guns, most common generally equals least valuable. Despite this, I think $400 is reasonable.
HMC8404 said:
Does anyone know how well this gun functions...
James K said:
They are well made guns, but as with any .32 or .380 pistols of that era, reliability should be judged with standard FMJ ammo only.
One of my friends loves how well these pistols shoot- he's a member of the cult. ;)

James offers sage advice. Another hint with old .32's in general- a rule of thumb is "European pistol, European ammo." American .32 ACP FMJ ammo, which on today's market means Winchester or Remington because AFAIK Federal and CCI/Blazer/Speer don't load it, is loaded fairly weak and frequently fails to cycle and/or feed properly in European pistols. OTOH ammo from European makers- Fiocchi, Geco, Prvi Partizan (PPU), Sellier & Belliot, etc.- generally works much better. I've also had good luck with PMC from South Korea.

Last edited:

HMC8404

Carguychris,

My mistake! The serial number has the prefix "A", and the name on the resin grips have "New Puma" written on them. Any significance there?:confused:

carguychris

HMC8404 said:
The serial number has the prefix "A", and the name on the resin grips have "New Puma" written on them.
According to the Beretta Forum FAQ, the "A" prefix was used from 1966-1968, when it switched to an "L" prefix.

FWIW one of the provisions for the Gun Control Act of 1968 (68 GCA) was that gunmakers had to use unique serial numbers within a given caliber or gauge, not just within a specific model range. This prompted many gunmakers to change serial numbering systems to avoid repeating past numbers, often by adding alphabetical prefixes and/or suffixes to yield more possible combinations.

Also, Italian firearms in general can be dated more precisely by checking the proof mark code, which on a Beretta pistol is typically located on the RH side of the trigger guard. From 1945 to 1974, the Italian proof houses used Roman numerals* starting with I, so you can calculate the year by adding the Roman number to 1944, e.g. XXI = 21 + 1944 = 1965. In some cases, a gun may have been proofed a year or two after it was made- proofing was not required until the gun was actually shipped- but this is generally of little consequence to the casual enthusiast.

FWIW 1968 is a very common year for these guns because the 68 GCA made it illegal to import simple cheap short-barreled single-action .25 and .32 automatic pistols, so the makers of such pistols ironically had a banner sales year before the law went into effect, because many shooters were snapping up the pistols while they still could. :rolleyes:

*Footnote: In the early 70's, the Italians used queer Roman-Arabic hybrid numbers XX7, XX8, and XX9, presumably because the stamping machine could not accommodate "XXVII" and so on.

Sid

I had one of these and they are very well made pistols. You will get your best performance with Fiochi ammo which is the most powerful .32 ACP load that is commercially available.

HMC8404

Thanks, Sid.

I really like the old school look of these guns. The trouble is, the guy wants $595. But again, it is LNIB-very minty, with original manual and sales receipt. Just not sure if that's way over the top or not. I offered him $500. He won't budge on the price.

Sid

Mine was also near minty and had the original box and sales slip. If I remember correctly I paid $500 for mine.

Erich

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I thought someone should

a) speak up on behalf of this gun, and
b) post a photo. :)

I traded (a S&W 37-2) a friend for his a couple years ago (in box with both mags, papers and original sales receipt) and have been very happy with the thing. For one thing, it has a pretty astonishingly good trigger: light, no overtravel whatsoever, and almost no creep. Consequently, the gun is very easy to shoot well.

0305151459.jpg

It's also been utterly reliable for me. I've always liked the .32 ACP for shooting (it's pleasant as all get-out and quite accurate), but this is turning out to be one of my more "fun" guns, for sure. Smaller than the later DA double-stack Berettas, the Model 70 also points like a dream.

IMG_20131117_135217_940.jpg

0601141200.jpg

0601141218.jpg

aarondhgraham

One has to admit,,,

One has to admit,,,
Beretta sure made some sexy pistols.

A friend of mine has one of the Pumas,,,
I've been trying to buy it from him for years.

I don't think I would go $500.00 though,,,
It just isn't that rare or unique.

Sure is pretty though.

Aarond

PSP

70s pic to celebrate a thread revival. More fun packed into this frame than any gun I own, (except my Daewoo DP52). :rolleyes:

Beautiful guns that feel great in the hand. :D

salvadore

When I bought mine the box and gun were NIB with a receipt. That was in '68 from a gunshop out on the North Yellowstone Highway. Wish I could remember what I paid for it or what I traded it for.

Erich

Honestly, I've had to resist mightily to keep from buying a 71 this week. (Only thing that stopped me is that I blew a lot of money on another classic Beretta. :) )

SpareMag

I have the 70 in .32 and 70S in .380. Both are great pistols. They fit me perfectly, are (to me) beautifully crafted and have been flawless in function. These are the kind of pistol that makes one wonder why you ever got a polymer anything.