Does Anyone Have Experience With Choate Stocks?

Joe_Pike

I'm converting my 590 Shockwave to a 20" shotgun and am trying to do it as inexpensively as possible. I have a Mesa Tactical stock adapter with a pistol grip that I could add an adjustable stock to but don't think I'll use it due to the more difficult access to the safety.
I've had a 500 with the Hogue 12" LOP stock on it but that thing is "grabby". I've thought about the Magpul stock but then I would want to change the forend and that's just more money. I've seen some Choate tactical/youth stocks that are reasonably priced but haven't seen much in the way of feedback.
So, anyone here use a Choate stock?

ocharry

I have a choate set(stock and forearm) on my 1100 and my 870.... No problems. They work just fine...both of the stocks came with spacers for length of pull....been on the guns for several years.....I would buy again

My .02
Ocharry

Shadow9mm

personally the mossberg furnature is cheap enough. in my experience with choate they seems slightly cheaper and heaver than the factory but they work.

44 AMP

Staff
Can't speak to the shotgun stock but I've had a Choate folder on a Mini 14 for decades. Flawless positive function, and durable. If their shotgun stock is the same, you should have no issues.

bamaranger

Choate

Had a very early Choate set on a work 870 for years. Not sure what they look like now, but mine was the scalloped out looking version with a molded, hollow tube portion that took the stock bolt. The Choate pad was hard and narrow and did nothing to ease recoil. But the stock was tough as nails. Light weight as well.

Spats McGee

Administrator
Let me start by saying I've known the Choates for somewhere north of 40 years. Having now confessed to my possible bias, I'll say this: I've been using Choate products for decades and have never had a problem with one. They like to build with an eye towards making their stocks indestructible, which might make them a little heavier than their competitors, but I've never known anyone to tear one up. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call them at the shop. The Choates and the folks that work there are absolutely some of the nicest folks you could ever hope to meet.

Scorch

How you will feel about a Choate stock depends entirely on what you expect it to be like. If you expect it to be cheap and heavy but work OK, then you're good to go. If you expect it to have good fit and finish and look appealing, you will be disappointed. I am not a fan, but I have had many customers who were entirely happy with their Choate products.