Does anyone else limit their choice on weapons to calibers thay already have?

FS2K

I know it sounds dumb, but I do. I guess cause I spend so much effort into stockpiling ammunition for the guns I own I'm kinda hesitant to get a gun chambered in a round I don't already have.

For instance, for my handguns I have .22LR (goes with my 10/22 too) 9mm, .357 mag/.38 SPL, and .45 ACP. For my long guns I can add 5.56 X 45, .30 cal, 7.62 X 39, and 12GA.

What this comes down to, is whenever I get the urge to get a new gun, I look for stuff that is chambered in these rounds first. The last time I got something that was "off Caliber" it was a .44 Mag Super Blackhawk, but that gun came with a BUNCH of bullets so it didn't count. Then of course there's my Inland M1 Carbine that stands alone, but I have since hoaded a bunch of rounds for that gun.

This is the reason I don't own a .308, 5.45 X39, 5.7mm, .40 cal., or .17 HMR....yet even if there are weapons that really catch my eye in these calibers. Anyone else think like this?!?

629 shooter

Some shooters favor owning a variety of calibers in many different guns where others like to own a variety of guns but in specific or favorite cartridges.

Either is great! I tend to limit my cartridges and seem more inclined to buy guns in certain calibers. I like the 357 and own a few different models , DA Revolvers , SA revolvers and single shot. Might even add a carbine later. My reloads can be shot in several guns.

A lot of 22lrs , enough said there.

For centerfire rifle rounds I use the .223 in a couple of rifles and a TC Super 14.

For my oddballs I have the 44 mag and 9mm.

saypek

Does anyone else limit their choice on weapons to calibers thay already have?

Me.

I'm not a gun collector and i want to shoot all my weapons. Plus the fact that i'm not rich :D Practicality i guess.

Hoverboy26

I'm with you on this one. :D I also enjoy my .357 Magnum's. I have my lever action rifle and several revolvers in this caliber. I usually buy ammo in bulk for them, 250, 500, or 1000 rounds. It saves a lot of $$ in the long run, plus it ensures I always have plenty of ammo. I don't think you should let it keep you from purchasing different firearms, though. Having all kinds of styles and calibers of firearms will improve your overall shooting ability. :D
You mentioned .17 HMR.......you definitely need to get one of those, you will love it!

-RC

rcupka

I tend to do the opposite, I don't want to have too many guns of the same caliber. Maybe two max with the exception of .22lr (6). I enjoy the variety and don't mind having to stock different ammo.

Twycross

Not me. If I wanted to shoot a .270, I would use the one I have, not buy a new one. :p

I like having lots of different ammo. I even have ammo for chamberings I don't have (yet). :eek: :D

p230

Some of both. My play guns like AK's I try to to keep the same caliber to buy in bulk. Same sort of thing for my hunting rifle, only 3 different caliber's to make reloading and such simple. My "other" guns I just by what seems interesting to me. I usually won't have more than 50 rounds loaded for something like my 9.3X57.

p230

Majic

Why limit yourself? How hard is it to get a box or two of ammo when you decide to shoot a certain model. It's no rule or law that says you have to have 1000's of rounds of ammo for each chambering.

azredhawk44

I think really hard before adding a new caliber to the mix.

If its too close to one I already have, I will usually talk myself out of it. In rifles, I own .22LR, .30-30 and .308. Consider .308 vs. .30-06. If I want something other than .308, it has to be noticeably weaker than the .30-30 or stronger than the .308. There isn't enough middle ground between those two to allow for another cartridge. I will one day entertain the idea of something between the .30-30 and the .22LR, however. .223 is figuring into the equation in a comfortable bolt action rifle.

In pistols, I have the big 5... .22LR, 38/357, 9mm, 44mag, 45acp. Nothing in-between will be coming. I have all power levels covered here with plenty of room for overlap.

Usually what I am shopping for is a particular kind of action or frame on the firearm, though. Lever action, DA snub revolver, 1911 action, Mauser action, M14 action... I can find a caliber I already have offered in whatever action I want to shoot.

T. O'Heir

It's not the cartridge or calibre. It's the firearm. If you were offered say, an M1A Supermatch for a really good price, would you turn it down because it's a .308?
"....30 cal..." Which one? There are many.

Lurch37

I don't limit myself, although I tend to lean a bit towards the NATO calibers. But I'm into the military side some so thats a given. The odd or rare calibers for collectors are the fun ones to get. As in a .38 midrange Colt Gold Cup, or a Colt Pre War .38 Super Lightweight Commnder. Everybody has one in .45 so to find one in 9mm or one of the above is great.

I don't buy a case of ammo for every different caliber, just the ones I shoot a lot!! Theres nothing wrong with buying just a couple boxes of some oddball or different caliber munitions. But you have to go shoot that thing, so get at least two boxes.

skeeter1

No single one for me. I've got several .22LRs, one .22 Magnum, a .38Spl, a .357 Magnum, and a couple of 12-gauges. If I spot something else that tickles me (maybe a 9mm), that would be fine. I'm not going to be tied down to one caliber.

armabill

I do it too. I like to get a gun that is the same caliber(s) that I already have ammo for.

I don't want to have a bazillion calibers to have to buy ammo, cause I usually buy it by the case.

Hal

No - One of the beauties of being a handloader is an almost limitless source of ammunition, simply by buying a set of dies.

Naturally, the more exotic ones may be harder to assemble, but for the most part a set of dies and some brass is all you need to have.

OTOH - as I've gotten older, I've noticed that my desire for more than a few calibers has diminshed.

Socrates

I look at every new caliber as one I don't shoot as much for another one.

I like to buy the most common rounds, and shoot heck out of em.

I 22lrs I love, and ammo is cheap. Have a 30-06 and a 375 H&H.

30-06 could have been a 308, and I'd be just as happy. Still, ammo is cheap, and avaliable for both.

Like the mil calibers, and calibers with cheap ammo avaliable. Would consider a 9mm 1911, even though I only have 36/357 in one gun.

Fun part is in shopping, sometimes, you run accross stuff you CAN't pass up, if you have the money at the time.
I've always wanted a 475, and a 500 Max, but, never could see spending 3 grand for the guns. Got lucky, and sitting there, for the right price, are two guns I always wanted.

They followed me home.

I like keeping reloading calibers to a few as possible, and,
as few as possible components. Don't have a huge area to reload, and, that's just me.

If I get another caliber, I want to get rid of one. I'd like to move from 375 to 458 Lott. So, rebarrel, and, go with the 458, but get rid of all the 375 stuff.

That's just me.

S

arizona hunter

When I but a new firearm I always get a caliber much different than what I already have. I don't need another 6.5 x 55 Swede (260 Rem class) or another 30.06 class rifle (270, 280, 308 or even 300 mag), I would step up to a .35 Whelen or 338 or 340.

Recently got a .204 Ruger -fantastic.

In handguns I have a pocket P3-AT (.380) from Kel Tec and a full size 9 mm. If I got another handgun it would be a .44 mag or even .480 Ruger.