Does anyone else have a hard time wearing OTE protection while shooting rifle?

Lavid2002

I just recently purchased some OTE (over the ear) protection. I went to shoot my ar15 this afternoon and noticed that when I placed my cheek on the stock the ear muffs got pushed up, and when I shot I heard the full report of the gun. I know there must be some way to avoid this because apparently it must work for everyone else.....I trued pushing it up so it was barely covering my ear and the stock wouldn't touch it, but it still pushed up. Does this happen to any of you? If so what do you do about it...

Thanks

-Dave

johnbt

It's a problem for a lot of people. Most people maybe. I just wear foam plugs under the muffs and live with it.

It sort of depends on your build and stance, but yes it's a problem.

John

MLeake

Years of exposure...

to aircraft turbine noise, handgun noise, and motorcycle noise took their toll on my hearing; I still pass the necessary audiology tests, but can't say I enjoy them.

As a result, whenever feasible (and ALWAYS indoors) I double up, plugs under muffs.

Hearing deterioration stabilized noticeably after this change (which also included using plugs when on the bike).

Cheers,

M

AK103K

I quit wearing over the ear type muffs 20 years ago, partially for the reason you describe, and mainly for the fact that ear plugs almost always have a higher rating and do a better job.

The fact that the plugs cost about nothing is a plus too.

Lavid2002

I think im going to just live with it and toss an extra plug under my right ear....That sounds like a plan. Then ill have the ease of ote protection whem im not shooting and the comfort of in ear plugs when I am :p