Does anybody own or really know this revolver …… Charter Arms 32 h&r?

Nathan

Charter Arms Pro 32 H&R

Does anybody own or really know this revolver Charter Arms 32 h&r? I really want to buy this gun, but they are invisible in gun stores. I’m looking for someone to post with here or pm or maybe even call.

It looks like an awesome gun, but is it S&W good? Just a little rough? A total piece of crap?

reynolds357

Would you buy it again?
I wouldn't, but more due to the 327 Federal obsoleting the 32 H&R.
I only have one Charter. It's a 38 spl undercover. I took it to the range and it shot well. Then the barrel started unscrewing from the action. You could literally watch it with every shot. Back to Charter it went. They sent it back with the barrel on straight, but I never shot it to see if it stays that way.

I don't own that model but I do have a new production police undercover in .38 which shares the same frame and most parts. I've researched this gun a lot and you should have no problem finding one on Gunbroker if you want want. The biggest gripe is that the sights don't shoot point of impact with most loads, however there are hot loads that do. Otherwise you need to keep the dot on top of the notch to hit your target.

Here's a good review.
https://www.k-var.com/gun-test-charter-arms-professional-32-hr-magnum

To say the 327 makes the 32mag obsolete is like saying the 357 Magnum makes the 38 spl obsolete, which it isn't. I have no need for a super hot 32. I think the 32 mag is more than enough for self-defense and I'll take more control over more power anyday.

Drm50

Not total crap but nowhere near S&W. Unless it’s a steal wouldn’t touch it. CA are second rate firearms.

bobn

i have that gun. but in stainless. you have to put the large green front dot on top of the rail. if you put it down in the rear sight groove it will shoot way low.
....it does have a lighter than most revolvers double action trigger pull. the grip sucks, so does their standard, so does the pachmayr. the hogue however is just right in my opinion. bobn

reynolds357

Not total crap but nowhere near S&W. Unless it’s a steal wouldn’t touch it. CA are second rate firearms.
But they don't have the stupid built in lock that Smith now puts on their small frame pistols. That stupid lock has totally turned me off to Smith.

Nathan

But they don't have the stupid built in lock that Smith now puts on their small frame pistols. That stupid lock has totally turned me off to Smith.

I agree. I just bought my first new S&W since the 90’s! It has no lock. The MIM inside is disheartening.

ViperR

Well, I can't tell you anything about the Professional, but I can tell you a lot about it's predecessor the Patriot. CA made them for a short time. They were a 2 1/2" barrel on a Undercover 38 all steel frame (trigger guard/grip frame is aluminum like on all their models, even their 44 Spl. & 357 models).
Chambered in 327 Federal Magnum. Could shoot 327, 32 H&R, 32 S&W Long (32 Colt New Police) and even 32 S&W Short. 6 shot. Very punishing with full 327's! Really good with 32 H&R's (above standard 38 Spl., but below 38 Spl. +P) and very mild with the Longs.
Made in Shelton, CT and very good quality. Smaller than a K, but larger than a J. Came with Pachmayer's, but they offer slightly smaller Hogue's and even the tiny old school wood's. Front sight is part of the barrel and not a FO.
Locks up tight and quite accurate in your typical 7-10 yard defense distance for a snub. DA is smooth and SA is good. One more round than the 38, but one less round than the Pro. Frame size, including cylinder dia. are the same on all three (Pro, Patriot & Undercover). Barrel lengths differ just a bit (Undercover 2", Patriot 2 1/2" and Pro 3").

turkeestalker

I stumbled onto one at a Cabela's gun library a couple of years back.
Couldn't tell that it had been fired, but they were selling it as a used gun for just under $200, how could I refuse?
Mind you this was I believe within a year of them introducing that caliber in their "Professional" series.
It's a solid revolver, and shoots as well as you would expect a Charter to shoot, which is likely better than I can shoot it.
I really like the revolver, but hate the fiber front sight.
The sight on the one that I bought was a little loose, placed a call to Charter's techs and they explained how I could tighten it, which worked.
They also told me that there were no other options at that time on a front sight for that model, pity.
The ammo is not that easy to come by these days, but it is available for a bit of a premium if you're not loading your own.
It is a Charter, and it is my fourth Charter, it's a serviceable firearm that I've yet to experience any failures with, though I've not shot the grips off of it.

I will say in addition that I was quite impressed with the DA trigger.
Don't know if they put a little more effort into their "Professional" series or what, but it's better than the other three that I own.

ViperR

Great review and experience with the Professional.
Saving brass and reloading your own for "range use" is a plus. Don't know how many you have on hand.
32 Longs are considered "a reloadable .22" from what I've read.
CA has improved on their quality from what I have seen.
Patriot's are rare and going for a premium.
Thanks for your input!