Does anybody own a Sig P556?

Darker Loaf

I'm looking for feedback on Sig P556 pistols:

1) How reliable are they?
2) Can the buffer tube be easily removed? I know that the buffer tube is mechanically extraneous I just want to know if you can unscrew it or something easily.
3) How you you like it?

thedudeabides

The 556 rifle and pistol are piston rifles and do not have buffer tubes.

They are not AR's.

You can mount struts/stocks from the 556 (and make it into an SBR), not sure if there are a lot of aftermarket accessories, tho.

Darker Loaf

The new ones totally come with non-functional buffer tubes just like my Troy chassis 10/22 has one so you can put AR stuff on it. The new Sig P556 (and all their rifle caliber pistols line) comes with non-functional pistol AR buffer tubes. Also, think of AK's. You can put a buffer tube adaptor on an AK so it will accept AR stocks.

Last edited:

Guv

Are you asking about the 22lr version or the 556? The 556 version has the piston setup, very heavy, very reliable, eats allot!

Darker Loaf

The 5.56/.223 version. You say it eats it up! That's good to hear.

I know it's a piston system, but if you look at the Sig website, they show it with a non-functional buffer tube that's meant for the Sig AR pistol brace, making it SBRish. I want to know if it's easily removeable. But, if you are not a newer owner of it, that's really the version of the gun I'd want. I want to use it like a more "traditional" AR pistol, without the buffer tube.

i've got one. i originally planned on turning it into a side-folding SBR, but never got around to it. it's fun and very easy to conceal in a bag or locked truck compartment. it's a little hard to aim without the stock. it can be done with a single point sling utilized as a sort of reverse-action stock. i just put a laser with a touch pad on mine. aftermarket sights are no fun since the sights sit lower than a standard AR. i don't know of any aftermarket sights. plenty reliable, just like its big brother.

IMAG0019_zpsd7a21044.jpg