Does any other handgun come close to Glock?

2ndamd

No flamer. Just wanted to get your attention.

The main aspect of Glock that I have enjoyed over the years is the parts availability.

Are there any other guns like Glock, that offer their factory parts for the public to buy?

I know Ruger parts are hard to come by. Every now and then they come up on gunbroker.

I hear Beretta M9 parts are out there?

Are there any other suppliers of parts for say....CZ?
Sig?
XD?

I know that 1911 styles are covered, any other DA/SA auto parts available out there?

Thank you

bigghoss

I think as far as aftermarket support goes glock and the 1911 are at the top, the glock has an edge, I feel, because things don't have to be precisely fit to the gun.

as far as DA/SA I don't think anything comes close to the previously mentioned but I suppose the beretta and the sig would be the at the top of the list

Last edited:

RychenCop

M&P is pretty good. Certainly less muzzle flip in the .40 category anyway. i like the M&P grip too. if war started tomorrow i would grab the Glock though.

hoytinak

Yeah it's pretty bad when you can built yourself a complete "Glock" without one single factory Glock part in it.

David the Gnome

You could build a complete 1911 with off the shelf parts too. I don't think I've ever been in a gun store that didn't have at least one little section of Wilson Combat 1911 parts.

output

But CWPinSC...that can't be true. Everyone knows they last forever! :rolleyes:

I don’t know of anything else out there that can compete with Glock when it comes to parts availability but I am not the most experienced in this topic.

KurtC

S&W parts have alsways been available to the public. Their list is posted on line, and their customer service is state of art over the phone.

Beretta parts for most models have always been available to the public, but they have only common ones posted on line, and their customer service usuallly has a long wait time. They have recently turned their parts service over to Brownells, which has an excellent web site. Parts for Italian models can be ordered from http://www.brignoliarmi.com/catalogo.php?liv_id=2_23&liv_prec=15

Most folks order parts for S&W and Beretta because they want to customize their guns or create their own model.

9mm1033

Not being a Glock owner (nothing against the gun) all I know is that firearm has tons of accessories available. The marketing department is well paid, the name Glock is everywhere compared to other gun manufacturers. Even the "Gunny" is endorsing Glock over the current military sidearm, Beretta.

The "Gunny" is getting old and has shot a few too many big bore weapons without his hearing protection. When asked if he preferred "Glock" or "Beretta," he actually replied "I'd rather see a real clock than use a Boliva watch.":D

bigghoss

Maybe there's a reason for the need?

1. a lot of people have a compulsion (myself included) to tinker with their guns( and cars and everything else) to make them better suited to themselves and make them stand out from the crowd

2. guns are machines and machines A. are meant to be used B. wear out with use. parts WILL need to be replaced eventually.

there may be a plethora of reasons to hate glocks but they're the same for hating any gun. a lack of quality is certainly not on the list of glock con's

Boats

If anything, quality 1911A1 parts are even more widespread from a larger variety of competitors than any pistol out there. One can even find multiple providers of pins for the weapon in both carbon and stainless steel.

Of course the main advantage of the 1911 after market compared to the Glock's is that one can change the grip configuration without help and without permanent modification of the weapon in most cases. Things like the grips and mainspring housings require little or no fitting at all. Things like different grip safeties or different reach triggers are more complicated jobs, but not beyond the do it yourself realm.

Burning or sanding a Glock is permanent and I haven't seen anyone improve upon the lousy feeling "brake pedal in the trigger" beyond tinkering with the pull weight.

IanS

If the Spartans at the time of Battle of Thermopylae lived today they'd choose the most battlefield expedient and "spartan" of designs. They'd have no use for any sidearm that hints of metrosexuality, speaks to men's vanity, the needlessly complicated, or grips that feel "comfy". The Glock comes closest to being the modern equivalent of their philosphy.