Does .300 Blackout really need a muzzle device??

rickyrick

All parts except the BCG and muzzle device have been ordered or on hand to build my 300bo upper.

I'm guessing that some of the benefits are less flash and blast. So to those of you that know, is a brake even needed? Not cheaping out, but it would shave weight.

TMD

You didn't specify barrel length but either way, IMHO no a muzzle break isn't needed. Both supersonic and subsonic loads use slow pistol powders which are pretty much all burned off in the first 9" or so, this means minimal flash. As for recoil, subs runs about 25k or so chamber pressure and supers about 55K. Even though the bullets are heavier than .223/5.56 the pressures are less so felt recoil is about the same, at least on my 8.3", 11", and 16" uppers.

Mobuck

My 300(s) only have thread protectors. I don't see a need for a flash hider/muzzle break on something that burns pistol powder through a 16" barrel.

Ibmikey

On my AR's in 300 BO i have Daniel Defense flash hiders to kep the AR look although night shooting is rarely done. My Ruger American bolt action is scoped and used for Texas hog hunting, i leave the thread protector on the barrel and forego brakes or flash hiders." By the way 125 or 150 gr supersonic puts a hog down just fine.

I am unable to notice any flash with my naked eye at night shooting crap 150gr reloads through a 9" barrel with an AAC Blackout three prong flash hider. So I'm guessing flash on a 10" with no device would be tolerable at least.

Recoil is on par with .223 to me though others have said both more and less recoil when shooting it.

rickyrick

Barrel is installed, BCG and charging handle will be here today along with the thread protector....

I'll try and get a picture up today.

Old Bill Dibble

Yeah, suppressor. With a 10" barrel that will soak up any recoil, hide any flash, make the shooting more quiet. Pin and extend it out to 16" and you don't even need an SBR stamp.

rickyrick

Took a more simplistic approach to the 300 upper, itching to shoot it now. The upper on the lower is the 300blk, the other is my 5.56 upper. The 5.56 upper is funner to shoot than tickling baby monkeys and turned out to be quite accurate.

Optics are still up in the air, I have options on my shelf, just gotta decide which ones to put where.

096e7332771bb7179047317398fcdedb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

raimius

What muzzle device does the .30-06 Garand have? ;)
It's personal preference, and what kind of performance you want.