Doctor asked us about "guns in the home" today

JimR

I took my son to the pediatrician today for his annual school physical. The nurse was doing some preliminaries, and in going through a list of standard questions ("any known allergies", "any history of high cholesterol in the family", that sort of thing), asked "do you have any guns in the home".

I replied that I thought it was an inappropriate question and represented an ethical boundry violation. She tried to soft sell it, "the government now requires it, etc.". I asked why they didn't ask if I had a swimming pool, which cause more accidental deaths than guns. No good answer, you need to ask the Dr., etc. She was real defensive, and I made clear that I wasn't upset with her, but with the question and the perceived need for it.

I ask the Dr. about it, and the answer I got was basically an "it's for the chil-drun" line of BS (with that pronunciation and everything!). I again stated I felt this represented a boundry violation, and asked why they don't ask about swimming pools or wearing of seatbelts, both of which are bigger issues than negligent/accidental firearms discharges. Got mealy-mouthed answers, gov't "asks" that we collect this, that it's for safety, society has a big problem with guns, etc. He seemed to think that this was an OK thing to be doing. We went back and forth for a couple of minutes, both very professional, then let it drop agreeing to disagree.

My son is getting old enough to think about going to a GP/internal medicine doctor instead of a pediatrician, so I may head that way and bail out. I've got an internist who is quite good that I use, so I may take my son there going forward. In fact, consider it done. It's a shame, the guy we saw today is one doctor in a multi-doctor practice, and there are others we like better than the one we saw today for the physical, but it's a standard form they apparently all use, so every one is getting asked this question at this practice.

Any comments? Would you have done anything different / do anything further?

Spectre

Staff Alumnus
I might have asked him if he had any medicines in his home, or doctors-

since doctors kill many more Americans every year than law-abiding gun owners.

Then again, I might have just asked why he had agreed to become a government whore.

Dead

Spectre, from what last recall hearing about Doctor's killing people, comes out to more than 100,000 a year! That more than cars and guns combined I am sure!!!

John/az2

I have pondered this question, especially after it took my wife by surprise when we had to take our son to the emergency room.

Should this happen again I would do pretty much do what you did.

I would ask him if he had household cleaners, 5 gallon buckets, rubbing alcohol, power tools, vehicles, bleach, gasoline in cans in the garage, rabbits with "sharp pointy teeth", and other such instruments that can hurt anyone who is ignorant of their proper use.

And then I would tell him, depending upon his attitude, that he should tell the government to find a good proctologist (sp) because he needed to stuff that question as far up their collective anus as possible.

If he wouldn't do that, I'll tell him I'll be finding another doctor to do business with, and will steer anyone alse I know away from him and his ilk.

Really, a boycott is in order for these idiots who are "just following..." :rolleyes:

buzz_knox

If she said the goverment requires it, then she's a bloody liar. Drop her like a hot potato and recommend to all friends and family to stay away from her.

JeanC

If you are going to drop that pediatrition, I would recommend you send him a letter with a copy to the medical practice itself and maybe one to your insurance company/HMO outlining why your are switching doctors. While it probably won't do anything, but it is a least on file. And mention that you will not be recommending that practice and doctor to any of your firends and aquaintances.

JimR

FWIW, I'm probably going to send a letter informing them I won't be using them in the future along with this text from a contemporaneous thread on TFL.

Silver Bullet

The following was posted a few weeks back, either here or in Free Republic:

"Doctors Vs Guns, U.S. Statistics

Number of physicians in the US = 700,000
Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year =120,000
Accidental deaths per physician = 0.171 (U.S. Dept. of Health & Human
Services)
Number of gun owners in the US = 80,000,000
Number of accidental gun deaths per year (all age groups)=1,500
Accidental deaths per gun owner = 0.0000188 (U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms)
Therefore, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun
owners.

Taken from the Benton County News Tribune of November 17, 1999."

Note that these statistics only refer to accidental gun deaths, but that's what we're talking about when a doctor asks about guns in the house.

My comments:

1. Licensing and registering doctors doesn't seem to help.
2. Make sure you keep your doctor locked up when you're not using him.
3. If you MUST transport a doctor, make sure he's locked in the trunk of your car in a separate bag from his medicines.

I believe you should have reminded them of who was paying whom for their services and told them that this question has no relavance to your son's medical history and is absolutely none of their business. End of discussion. I guess I'm getting old and grumpy because I don't put up with indifferent or arrogant attitudes anymore, especially when I'm paying for the service. I make it a point to get ugly real fast. No profanity, but I can be the most arrogant ass they have ever seen.

DCR

They told you the gov't requires it, eh? Ask for the citation to federal law or regulation, or state law or regulation. I'm unaware of any such law, anywhere.

Might want to contact your state board of medicine about this. Inquire if any such law or rule exists. Might also want to ask whether such a communication would be covered under the doctor-patient privilege, or if the admission to the presence of a firearm in the home would have to be reported to somebody under their favorite excuse: mandatory child abuse reporting laws.

May also want to see if the conduct rises to the level of an ethical violation - either the misrepresentation of the question as being required by law, or the unnecessary prying beyond what is medically necessary for whatever services were sought, or something along those lines.

Any TFL doctors have ideas/thoughts/comments?

legalhack

simply ask them return questions: 1) how many times have you been sued for malpractice; 2) who is his/her malpractice carrier. That usually ends the discussion right there.

Shawn Dodson

Our health plan providers almost always ask: "Does anyone smoke in the home?" during the patient interview. I tell the kids just to say "No", although my wife smokes. I explained that it's okay to be untruthful in this situation because the information being sought is family business, which is none of their business.

Just answer "no" and let it be.

In the quest to limit and punish risky behavior, health care plans and insurance companies are keeping track of your private affairs. You can bet they're lobbying lawmakers to use this information against you. It a sad day when you have to lie to your doctor to get treatment, but this "research" will one day be used to promote regulation of our behavior.

My employer is required to perform a yearly poll of employee commuting habits. I always submit that I ride a bike to work, although I don't. Why? Because some unelected "air quality commission/board" will penalize my employer if a certain percentage of employees drive to work as a single occupant in a privately owned car. In California, to "encourage" employees to carpool, the local air quality board wanted my employer to charge employees for parking.

P

PreserveFreedom

Why no, doc. My gun isn't at home, it is under my shirt.