Docter Red Dot Sight on 1911 - anybody have it?

drdirk

I have been thinking of putting a red dot sight on my 1911 Smith and Wesson. I found this link:

http://www.docteropticsusa.com/doctersight.php

Are these any good? Looks like they attach just to the existing sights and do not need a separate rail. So far I have not done a red dot sight on a 1911 for the fact that I would have to drill and tap the frame and I am kind of hesitant to do this to my gun. Would be fun to shoot pins with something other than stock!

If this is not a good idea, any of you have a good way to attach a red dot sight to a 1911 without drilling??

Marcus

I`ve never used the Docter but a good friend has it`s predecessor the Optima 2000 on his Kahr K-9 Elite and Ruger 22/45. From what I`ve read about it the Docter is simply a better made Optima. They`re really neat little sights. They`re small and light enough that they don`t alter the handling characteristics or balance of the gun. The one on the Kahr has had quite a few rounds through it and it`s retained it`s zero and had no problems. After 2 or 3 years of use it`s still on it`s original battery! I wouldn`t mind having a couple of those sights myself. Marcus

railroader

I had a docter sight on my cz 75b. To install it I had to remove the rear sight. Then I had install a dovetailed mount in it's place. Then a base is screwed onto the mount. The docter sight is then screwed onto the base. So unless there is a mount made specifically for your gun I think you have to get your slide machined to fit. As for my cz the one thing I didn't like was the sight sat kind of high so it felt unnatural when looking at the dot. Sometimes it would be difficult to find the dot if the gun was brought up quickly into the line of sight. If the gun isn't pointed properly you can't see the dot. I sold the docter and went back to adjustable sights. As for other mounts here is one that replaces the right grip. I had one with my kimber and it worked well. I used a taco propoint with it. http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=63&title=1911+AUTO+GRIP+SCOPE+MOUNT
Mark

larryw

I have Drs on a USP Expert (3.5moa dot) and a 1911 (7moa dot).

About the only thing the Dr. sight shares with the optima and the J-point spin off is the form factor. The Dr. is super durable, reliable, uses glass optics, holds its zero and is made of hardened aluminum. Mounts replace the rear sight in the dovetail, and are not that high (actually very low when compared to other dots). Pointing just takes a bit of practice and knowing the gun/npoa so you are pointed in the general direction when you pick up the dot.

As it attaches to the slide, it does add slightly to the recriprocating mass, but not to the point of requiring different loads or springs. If you know your gun, you will feel it the first time you shoot with the sight attached.

The Dr has a light sensor in it that automatically turns up the intensity in bright (daylight) conditions and turn it down/off at night (which is how you turn it off: place the cover over the sight). As such, it is not well suited for night time/HD use (but if you can's see the target, don't shoot...).

I use mine for both bullseye-type shooting and bang and clang. I love 'em.

Hunter Customs

mgun2red.jpg

I have several customers using the Doctor sight, so far no complaints from any of them.
They are all using them on 1911 raceguns I've built, low mounted like the one in the picture.
Low mounting the sight does put the dot closer in line with the bore and makes the sight more like using iron sights.
That being said if one does not want to low mount the sight and can't find a base that will fit their gun a base could be fabricated.
I do believe the Doctor sight is a much better made sight then the Optima.

Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

JoeHatley

I don't currently have a Docter Optic on my SW1911, but I do have one slide mounted on my 952.

952_r_d.jpg

I didn't want to drill and tap my SW1911 either, so I went with a grip replacement mount.

sw1911_l_ud.jpg

Works quite well, and it's simple to switch back to open sights.

Good Luck...

Joe

drdirk

thanks for the replys!

Some cool looking guns! Seems like most are pretty happy with the Dr. Sights. I am a litte concerned about the threat linked on two dying! How does the grip panel mount work, does it just replace your grip? Or does it slide under your grip? What does the other side look like? Will it match or will it be a different kind of grip then? Does it hold up?

Thanks to all!

railroader

The docter sight I had died too but the importer replaced it under warranty but it took a couple of months. Mark

Poohgyrr

I was hoping to see some accuracy pics! ;)

I understand the Dr is better made than the Optima/J Points, and am waiting to see how reliable they are with slide mounting.

kframe357

I would suggest going through natchezss.com for it. It's in their catalog for $293.21 for either the 3.5 MOA or the 7.0 MOA.

larryw

While working up some major loads with my Expert (half-turn to get the POI off to the side to keep a clean POI). This is after tens of thousands of rounds through this gun/sight combo and only because my bullet comany went stupid on pricing:

37278823608_0_SM.jpg

Where in No. CA are you? I shoot at the Sunnyvale Rod and Gun Club all the time; you're welcome to give mine a try.

drdirk

7 or 3.5 MOA??

ok, thanks for everybody's input on the docter sight. I am almost ready to pull the trigger and get out the credit card.

Two more questions:

Should I get the 7 or 3.5 MOA sight? Does the 7 use more battery? What are the advantages and disadvantages of both for pistol. Never had anything on my pistols except iron sights so I am new to this.

Also, which mount would fit the 1911 SW? I have the SW adjustable sights on mine? I see "1911" adapter and "Novark" adapater listed on the web.

Thanks,

DrDirk