Do you use a baffle in your powder measure?

mikenbarb

Im wondering if anyone uses a powder baffle and what do you gain as far as charge accuracy? Im wondering if its worth adding one to my powder measures but I am already getting pretty consistent drops(+-1/10gn. and better) so dont know if its worth it.
And where is a good place to buy these?

Sevens

I use a Hornady measure and I don't have a baffle. I would be happy to use a baffle if I found one for it cheap.

As for how much difference it makes, I typically set up and use my measure for no less than 50 and no more than 200 rounds at a time. And I usually check about every 10-15-20 drops to make sure it's consistent and it always is, with a slight allowance for the powders that measure crappily.

I tend to dump powder in the hopper every 50 rds just to keep some consistency.

The problem that I wonder about with a baffle in there is... how easy it it to get the little bastige out of there when I want to empty the hopper?

I've seen some websites that have plans for fold-it-yourself baffles, but I haven't bothered with that yet.

Short answer-- don't use one and don't feel like I'm screwed without it, but I'd probably use one if I had one.

D. Manley

Im wondering if anyone uses a powder baffle and what do you gain as far as charge accuracy? Im wondering if its worth adding one to my powder measures but I am already getting pretty consistent drops(+-1/10gn. and better) so dont know if its worth it. And where is a good place to buy these?

I use THIS ONE in both my Dillon measures. FWIW, I find nothing not to like...powders that measure well anyway are near perfect and those that don't, are improved. The Dillon measures are already very consistent with most powders but the baffle IMO, makes them even better especially if/when, you need to run to empty.

lll Otto lll

No baffle. I use a Hornady and a Lyman and both work fine without one.
If I was that concerned with my powder throws I'd use a trickler instead.

wncchester

"Im wondering if anyone uses a powder baffle..."

Sure. It helps consistancy, most appearant with coarse powder.

"And where is a good place to buy these? "

I have no idea. They aren't critical, cut your self one out of sheet metal, as I did, and install it.

laxpatrick

Make one yourself

I made one out of a pop can to see if it would help. It did - more consistent through the loads.

Basically take some scissors, make it look like the one above.

LAXPatrick

Sport45

Should the top corners be trimmed to facilitate dumping powder out of the hopper, or do you find you can change powders with the baffle in place as shown?

mikenbarb

Well, Got out the ol' tin cans and snips today and went to town and after a few tries, I had myself a couple pretty decent pepsi baffles for each of my powder measures. I installed them all today and going to throw some powder tommorow and see how they do. Saved myself about 40 bucks. Thanks.:D

cbm1948

Powder Baffle

MidWay USA has them Lyman and RCBS, I use the RCBS and get consistent powder throws most every time. Check the Midway site and search for Baffle.

Clint

WSM MAGNUM

I use one in my RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure. It does help when I use some extruded powders.

I use THIS ONE in both my Dillon measures.

D. Manley, the Dillon powder measures already have baffles built in.

Double baffling causes an additional increase in consistency. Hence the Dillon add-on. It depends on the powder, but flake pistol powders especially seem to benefit.

I'm not sure what the concerns with emptying the baffles to change powder is? The baffles have cutouts to pass the powder, and it pours back out through them pretty easily. It is just a bit slower than pouring without them. You will catch a charge or two's worth of powder in the corners of the baffles with the hopper inverted, but you just right the measure and tap it a few times to shake that down, then dispense that last little bit into a cup to clear it out.

If you followed the link in Shoney's first post above, below his post I have one with a link to my PDF file of powder baffle templates and instructions for making them. You can also download it at my file repository, http://drop.io/unclenick. It saves you having to figure the ellipse to follow the tube diameter when bent.

mikenbarb

Just got done running some Unique, Bullseye and a couple different types of extruded thru them. It made a noticable difference with ball and flake but it didnt affect the extruded as much but it did stay consistent as the hopper level dropped. I added two of them to my Lyman 55 and Pacific and one to my Ohaus. I would definatly recommend these to anyone looking to gain consistency in their powder charges. Cool stuff! Thanks everyone.

jaguarxk120

The next time you order pizza save the little plastic thingy thats used to keep the lid from smashing into the top of the pizza. Wash and put into your powder measure, works just like a baffle but it's free, aside from the cost of pizza. They will fit Redding and RCBS measures. If too tight or if the powder column is too high just trim it a bit. Tom F.