Do You Try To Keep Your Firearms Purchases Somewhat Related?

Do You Limit Your Firearms Purchases To A Category?

• Revolvers, Lever and Bolt Guns For Me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1911 Style Handguns and Semi-Auto Rifles For Me

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Steel and Wood Is My Only Requirement

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Load Me Up With ARs and Polymer Please

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Buy Whatever Gets In My Way

Votes: 30 83.3%

• Total voters

Joe_Pike

Do any of you narrow your firearms puchases down to some self-imposed category in order to limit your purchases? Or, is anything fair game?

I've sometimes thought about doing that in order to cut back on calibers and types of firearms available for purchase.

Obviously the poll questions are very arbitrary and can be tweaked a bit.

Last edited:

kilimanjaro

I try and limit the calibers, unless, of course, I just have to have it. I'm reloading for nearly 20 calibers now, which is not a lot, but a new die set, tool head, powder flask, and just a hundred pieces of brass and a few hundred bullets can add $400 to the cost of a firearm in very short order.

And, of course, I like my stuff to be UnBubba'ed, and condition is everything.

WIL TERRY

I did not vote on this. I do NOT understand " narrowing " anything. Makes no sense whatsoever to me. I've handloaded for one hundred and thirty five calibers I think it is and it is no big deal atall.
And so it goes...

osbornk

Variety is what makes it fun. I prefer to not have two of the same thing even if they are different brands.

NINEX19

I did not vote on this. I do NOT understand " narrowing " anything. Makes no sense whatsoever to me. I've handloaded for one hundred and thirty five calibers I think it is and it is no big deal atall.
And so it goes...
While I kind of agree with with you that the poll catagories does seem a bit arbitrary, since I think most shooter like a variety, I understand the question. Some people, while they have bought and tried many types of firearms, they discover they have a preference for a certain type or style over the others and as they mature, they narrow what they buy based on those refined preferences.

As a new shooter, I did not see any point to revolvers, levers and bolt when I could get semi autos. As time has gone on, my "taste" in guns has changed, where I now enjoy much more, bolts, revolvers, and lever guns. I still have semi-autos and like them too, but I do not pull them out as much as the others. I know some that they still only like the plastic semi auto and AR types, so they buy according to that.

If I happen to see a can't pass up good deal, no matter what they "style", I might buy anyway even if it is not my preferred taste. However, I have "narrowed" it down to specific calibers and don't actively seek out "plastic" guns anymore. Make sense?

rickyrick

I love guns. I would buy any of all categories if I could.

I'm not a rich man, so I buy whatever can fill more than one role, and those I can shoot practically and affordably.

I couldn't vote because none fit me

natman

I confine my purchases to tightly defined categories.

About 15 or 16 tightly defined categories. :rolleyes:

lefteye

The most accurate answer for me is "none of the above." I consider firearms purchases well in advance - sometimes a year or more - based on my intended purpose for the purchase.

JWT

I buy whatever I really find 'attractive' that I can afford. Aesthetics play a part in my choices for certain. Reviews and specifications play a bigger part. I prefer to actually handle a gun before buying one, but purchase frequently on line spit is not a critical decision need. Anything is fair game but metal has a strong preference over polymer.

SauerGrapes

I guess if I had more money, I'd have more variety. I have 1 revolver only because my wife shoots it. Love revolvers, just don't buy them.

My shotguns ate up all my money....lol.

Won't buy anything I already don't load for.

4 handgun calibers, 1 rifle and 3 shotgun.

sgms

I do have my preferences in the type of guns I want to buy but the only real relationship in what I have is that when properly fed they will all go boom.

44 AMP

Staff
I limit myself to cartridge firearms, made within the last 200 years.

That seems enough of a category for me! :D

9ballbilly

The last three I bought were blued steel and wood.
No reason other than that is what appeals to me. Since the guns I own are mostly out of production I keep a weather eye out for spare parts. My purchases are related in that they are mainly parts for guns I own.

Revolvers, mostly single action, are my thing. With semiauto pistols, semi auto rifles, bolt rifles and shotguns, pump, bolt, semi being second. If I want it I buy it.
The single actions are my favorite, but love variety.

45Gunner

I am a fan of the 1911 and thus tend to buy more .45ACP guns. However, I do like the .357 magnum round and buy mostly that caliber when it comes to wheel guns. Not a hunter and not much of a rifle shooter but do have several .22LR rifles for target shooting, the mandatory AR-15 (M4) and the compulsory 12gauge Shotgun.