Do you think the next big thing in handgun design could possibly be polymer slides?

defox

Recently we have seen a wave of new handguns with many features. Their is the Glock Block, P99 with 3 trigger modes, key locks for e.g. Taurus Millenium, scandium and titanium frames etc.

The trend that has emerged and were a lot of research and development seem to be taking place is in the areas of:

1. Advanced safety features
2. Lighter firearms
3. Producing the 'best' trigger

Thoughts????

David Scott

A polymer slide would be difficult because you need a certain amount of reciprocating mass to soak up recoil.

Polymer was the first real big change since the self-loader was invented. Face it, the firearm is a simple, efficient device and there's really not much you can do to improve it mechanically. I think the experiments with electronically ignited primers are a waste of time -- an answer in search of a question.

IMHO the next thing you will see is a battery embedded in the pistol grip, but not to ignite primers. It will power a white light built into the dust cover. Not a big thing, but new.

You may see refinements in ammo, though breaking into the market with a new cartridge is tough. The 10mm and .357SIG are still slow sellers. The SS-20 cartridge fired by the new miltary-only FN would give you a 20 round defensive pistol, if teh Feds would ever get off the ridiculous hi-cap ban.

I think you will see a lot of work on low-penetration and non-lethal weapons and munitions, prompted by the 9/11 hijackings.

Finally, the day will come when we have a small, very dense power source that will lead to the famous "phaser" of Star Trek. Till then, I'll stick with the 9mm.

lonegunman

A polymer slide would have a lot less mass than steel, as David Scott has pointed out. I dont think a recoil-operated gun with a polymer slide would work too well.

But what if you used a system like the HK P7? If I understand correctly, the P7 is recoil operated, but does use gas to slow down movement of the slide.

New_comer

Similar to modern aircraft design, I think the next evolutionary step for handguns would be the use of special reinforced CERAMIC materials for the slide & barrel, and also replace practically all the metal parts of a gun. No corrosion problems, practically undetectable by magnetic probes, no heating problems, allowing for hotter ammo.

Regards,

New_comer:cool:

Handy

Actually, the P7 is blowback with a gas delay. Slide mass is still a factor since the gas system stops working almost as soon as the breech opens.

The only systems that would allow light bolts or slides are locked breech designs that use a secondary impulse to unlock. Gas actuated, like the AR-15 and Desert Eagle, would be one way. Recoil actuated, like in Benelli shotguns, would be another. Neither system has a mass requirement, but the bolt or slide mass still help. You would still need steel or Ti locking surfaces.

This is all a little academic. No matter what kind of self loading system is utilized, recoil is always going to be an issue with normal ammunition. While you might be able to make a 5 oz. auto, would you want to shoot it?

C.R.Sam

While you might be able to make a 5 oz. auto, would you want to shoot it?

No....and I don't want the excess complication that goes with integrated locks and selectable fire modes either.

Electronics and adjustable doo dads fine for target. Keep it simple for defensive weapons.

Sam

jason10mm

I bet we will see guns with fewer and fewer moving parts and more things that can be "molded" into the frame and slide. Pair that with an electronic igniter and you can really simplify the design. With a non-mechanical trigger you can have any kind of trigger pull you want since it dosen't do anthing except tell the ignitor to spark the primer. Not sure I really want a battery powered pistol, but it will look nice next to my 100 year old 1911. I agree that the "low mass" pistols are getting a bit extreme in their efforts to shed weight. Still, there ain't 'nuthin like an all steel gun with lots of little parts. They are tools and works of art. LAter.

Rickmeister

A polymer slide would be difficult because you need a certain amount of reciprocating mass to soak up recoil.

Good point. In order for polymer frames to become a reality, we need to make radical changes in the action's design, redirecting mechanical energy and storing it somewhere within the frame, then to bleed it off slowly in the form of...heat? UVR? IRR? Now there's something for engineers to rack their brains over.

Maybe Glocks and 1911s will be friends after all, someday :D

Mo_Zam_Beek

The next big thing in handguns

Will be electronic accentuation of the round.

This will dramtically reduce the size and of the weapon by eliminating many of the parts.