Do you think Smith and Wesson will ever make another 10mm handgun?

Will Smith and Wesson make a new production 10mm?

• Yes

Votes: 22 36.1%
  • No

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 12 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HistoryJunkie

Lately I've been thinking how much I would like a 10mm handgun. I currently own a S&W M&P .40 FS and really like the gun. I reload and my .40 dies can also load 10mm. In the next year or so, I will be looking at getting another handgun, probably something with more recoil than my .40.

I really wish Smith would just make an M&P 10mm. Does anyone think there is a chance of this happening? What is the trend in 10mm handguns, up or down?

I've heard of the discontinued 10xx line from S&W but I have never held, seen or shot one.

9x18_Walther

It's all about supply and demand.

S&W used to make a .357 SIG M&P until the demand became nearly non-existent.

If the market for 10mm becomes strong again, and I think it will, then I have no doubt that S&W would make a 10mm again.

smee78

I wish they would step up to the 10mm again, I have a 1076 & 1006 and they are a pleasure to shoot. I have thought about adding a Glock but have not found a good deal on one yet. I also reload to feed mine.

Sevens

I'll answer right away-- no, personally, I don't think S&W will make another 10mm handgun. I will immediately follow that with "my knee jerk opinion on what S&W might ever do is meaningless! ;)

"Ever" is a horribly long time. I was half shocked when S&W released the 310 Night Guard revolver (10mm!) but I wasn't surprised in the way that it made barely a ripple in the world. I bet many have never even heard of it.

I do think the 10mm is trending up these days...
I am a long time 10mm guy but I also think it's "usefulness" is trending down. I still love it, but I don't see that an M&P 10mm will ever appear.

They made the 10xx series of 10mm 3rd Gen pistol from 90-93 and just over fidty thousand were produced. Prices on them have not fallen and likely never will. Right now, a savvy shopper can find one as low as $750 or so (with some luck!) and if you don't have the patience to find such a deal, a thousand will put a 1006 in to your paws.

I highly recommend! :D

lamarw

Why not just bite the bullet and go ahead and buy a Sig P220 in 10mm?

I have no desire for a 10mm, but to each his own. I have two Sig P220 in .45 ACP and believe it is a good platform.

dakota1911

I keep looking for a 610 or even 310 revolver in nice shape. I just don't want one bad enough to gunpoker one. I hope they do but am not holding my breath.

HistoryJunky

To try to cover all questions at once.

I voted yes... more so being hopeful than anything.

My reasoning is that Glock makes a 10mm, now Sig, so why not S&W.

To me the grip on the M&P series is miles ahead of either of those options. That is why I'd want a 10mm M&P.

I am small handed and the trigger reach on a Sig is atrocious to me. Same with Glock, but not AS bad. And Glocks grips feel like holding a 2x4 to me.

Is the M&P design strong enough to handle 10mm?

Big Shrek

Market for 10mm becomes strong again??
Its never been stronger!!
Over 20 new 10mm pistols available right now.
S&W 10xx series still sell for $750-1200...

Sig's 220 is getting a lot of airplay lately...

Glock just came out with the Glock 40 gen4 MOS, which is a longslide 10mm...
entirely possible this will eclipse everything but the Sig offerings...

I'm old enough to remember when there were only 7 10mm pistols available,
most of which were unreliable as heck...

The best of the 80's 10mm's were the Colt Delta Elite, the Star Megastar, & the S&W 1006 :)
And the Colt was apt to have slide stop failure & frame cracking...but was nice with low power loads.

fastbolt

Any time I've asked someone from the company about the potential for a new 10mm pistol, I've gotten the same response.

While the 10mm cartridge is popular among a small element of enthusiasts, it's pretty much only generating interest among those willing to handload or those willing to pay the freight for custom ammo made by a few of the smaller ammo companies.

Believe it or not, I've been told that there are some serious aficionados of the 10mm cartridge among folks at the company, but that doesn't change the fact that the major ammo makers aren't reporting significant increases in demand for 10mm ammo. If the company uses sales of commercially loaded ammo as an indication of whether or not it might be profitable to make another 10mm gun, it might be a while before we see another one from them.

Another issue often raised is that sales of existing caliber handguns are booming, and production can't keep up with the demand for existing models/calibers. Why would they want to cut into their already heavy demand of existing cataloged guns to make something for which the demand isn't demonstrably as great?

I've little doubt that a new 10mm pistol could be produced in either (or both) the M&P or the SW1911/1911E lines, with a little R&D. The R&D may have already been done, but existing production and sales demands are too heavy to justify trying to devote manufacturing resources to something else. I've been told that the engineers often have some interesting projects in the wings, but it's up to corporate to decide when a product has enough demand to be a viable addition to the catalog ... and a drain on the 'not-unlimited' manufacturing capabilities.

Maybe if the 10mm enthusiasts could manage to persuade the major ammo companies to start making more 10mm ammo, in more choices attractive to owners looking for hunting & defensive ammo, S&W might see an uptick in ammo sales and look to getting a gun out there to take advantage of the commercial ammo sales.

While there are more 10mm guns being made than ever before, the cartridge still seems stuck in the niche of being something that primarily interests handloaders, or owners wanting to buy custom , hot-rodded ammo made by smaller companies.

Just some thoughts, based upon what I've been repeatedly told in recent years when talking to various folks from the factory (none of the corporate/management strata, though).

Maybe if the new SIG Classic 10mm sets sales records, and SIG starts reducing production and sales of their other pistols/calibers in order to meet demand for the 10mm, S&W will see something of interest. ;)

Sevens

All of that sounds cool entirely reasonable, and I wouldn't argue it, but I would point out that it makes the Model 310 Night Guard all that more questionable and mysterious. And sure, that revolver will also eat .40cal, but it is difficult to make sense of it.

As to the "custom shop", I see no evidence that it still exists. The new "Performance Center" seems to mean production guns with odd or interesting features. It does not appear that skilled craftsman are building specially fitted handguns at Smith & Wesson like they did in the glory days of the Performance Center.

I have no proof of that beyond their catalog offerings.
I would dearly -LOVE- to hear otherwise.

Walt Sherrill

Build a 10MM handgun? Probably not, unless it's a revolver.

They've discontinued the M&P Pro in .357 SIG. If they ever get that working right in that gun, they might take on a 10mm semi-auto.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I doubt S&W is basing its decision solely on factory ammo sales, as they themselves say the 10mm is mostly a handloading proposition. More likely they are looking at sales of other brand guns in that caliber (yes, the gun companies do know what the others are doing) and, considering that they are selling all they can make of current models, just don't consider that a new 10mm would pay off. Tooling up for a new model would mean reducing production of guns they know are selling, so they would have to see a lot greater demand for a new gun than there is now.

Jim

I'm VERY pleased with my Tanfoglio Witness 6" Hunter model in 10mm despite their capacity being 2 less than advertised - excellent quality - better than any other 10mm I've had, and I've had Colt, S&W, Glock before.

They seem to have dried up for now, but my bet is that another batch will be coming in.

I haven't a clue what S&W will do, and since the hillary hole came along, I'm certainly not interested in what they may or may not do revolver-wise.

HistoryJunkie

I would have to actually get my hands on the Tanfolio to consider it. Trigger reach/grip size is my biggest consideration when purchasing a handgun. My trigger finger has a reach of about 2.75" which is pretty small compared to most people's hand size. That gets in the way of me being able to properly hold and operate a lot of handguns.

Skans

I would have to actually get my hands on the Tanfolio to consider it. Trigger reach/grip size is my biggest consideration when purchasing a handgun. My trigger finger has a reach of about 2.75" which is pretty small compared to most people's hand size.

You should be able to handle the single action Tanfoglio 10mm's. DA/SA will have a longer trigger reach. Still, I have medium sized hands and I can handle the Tanfoglio Stock 10mm (da/sa) just fine. Other option would be 1911 style like Delta Elite in 10mm.

HistoryJunky

That's pretty much the conclusion I have came to. I was wondering if there were any SAO double stack 10mms, but figured I might be limited to single stack guns due to trigger reach.