Do You Spread Gun Counter Myths?

Metal god

I will not visit CTD website how ever based on your examples :

I'm going to have to say yes . I'd say 3 & 4 are accurate in the right context .

The bullet does rise higher then the muzzle in flight if shooting accurately at any real distance .

Depending on the steel . The spring in a mag can get worn if left loaded . I know this because my Ruger SR45 mags do that very thing . What happens in that case is they seem to get weaker and no longer push the follower up hard enough to lock the slide back after last round . I sent my mags back and talked with Ruger about this . They confirmed you should not keep the SR45 mags loaded for long periods of time . I now just take the spring out and stretch it longer when it starts to get lighter rather then send them back . There had to be some reasons the SR series is so cheap . It seems at least one of those reasons is cheap spring steel .

As for your #1 . There is no way to say an intruder would run how ever If there where some reason I was an intruder in a home and heard a shot gun get racked . I'd be out of there in a heart beat . But hey lets turn that around and say . It's your house and you arive home unarmed to see a broken and open window . Instead of staying out of the house and waiting for the cops you should have already called . You go in to check it out . As you approach the room that has your guns you hear one of your shot guns get racked . :eek: Do you run into the room or run out of the house ?

Last edited:

natman

The bullet does rise higher then the muzzle in flight if shooting accurately at any real distance .

Sorry but this is 100% untrue. A bullet, like any other object, is subject to gravity and begins falling the instant it leaves the muzzle.

This is a common misconception because of pictures that show the bullet rising above the line of sight, which is often mistaken for the line of the bore.

laytonj1

No, it does not. Gravity acts on the bullet the moment it leaves the barrel. Guns are sighted to shoot above the line of sight to minimize bullet drop at longer distances but the barrel is actually aimed above the target.

Jim

Metal god

It "does" rise above the muzzle . It does not rise above the bore axis . There's a difference . The picture clearly shows it . The red line is the bore axis not just where the muzzle is in relation to the bullets flight .

#3 says muzzle not bore axis ;)

rickyrick

It cannot rise unless some lift is provided. It does not rise at all. With a scope you are shooting up but it's still falling the moment it leaves the barrel. All that math in physics class...

For the list:
6. Knock down power.

Metal god

Again I feel you're not actually reading the actual words and or sentences .

3. Bullets rise as they leave the muzzle.

I'm going to have to say yes . I'd say 3 & 4 are accurate in the right context .

You don't really mean to use firing into the ground as your base to being correct do you . Firing straight down will not allow the bullet to drop below the bore axis either but it will drop below the muzzle :)

I don't like to assume things that were not written in the OP but I think it would be fare to assume he meant the bullet would travel some distance forward of the rifle .

Last edited:
In response to the OP, no, but I laugh at them. And to those who are saying the bullet rises; NO!....it falls and falls; we only think it rises because the bore is at an angle to our "sights", an angle that launches the bullet upward so it can drop back down to intersect the target along our line of sight.

Metal god

an angle that launches the bullet upward "above the muzzle" so it can drop back down to intersect the target along our line of sight.

There fixed it for you .

Last edited:

laytonj1

3. Bullets rise as they leave the muzzle.

The bullet will only rise above the muzzle if the bore is aimed at an angle above parallel to the ground. So, the statement as written is not completely true.

Jim

gbclarkson

The same myth is applied to the "rising fastball". It is physically impossible, even for a world-class pitcher, to put enough back spin on a baseball to force it to "rise". The release angle and the velocity of the ball determine its trajectory, just like a bullet. Different angles of rotation that lead to a "breaking ball" are analogous to spin drift.

It turns out that the Earth is really big and its gravity is really strong. Math nerds, correct me if I'm wrong: escape velocity of the Earth is 7 miles per second. Bullets are not that fast.

Metal god

I'm starting to feel like Guffey must feel when arguing head space . I may be splitting hairs here but there is a difference between the muzzle location , bore axis , the bullets flight and how they compare to one another .

Just so I'm clear the pitchers hand would represent the muzzle . The baseball can never be higher then the pitchers release point in flight . I played 9 years of baseball growing up and the ball always would rise after I released it . At times many feet above my hand .

Last edited:

gbclarkson

Just so I'm clear the pitchers hand would represent the muzzle . The baseball can never be higher the then pitchers release point in flight . I played 9 years of baseball growing up and the ball always would rise after I released it . At times many feet above my hand .

Release angle, as I mentioned, is a factor determining the baseball's path. The ball is released with an upward vector causing the ball to arc to the receiver. The ball rises because it is released just prior to the arm reaching a perpendicular (90 degree) angle to the playing field. If the baseball left the pitcher's hand parallel to the ground it wouldn't make it to the catcher. The muzzle is angled upward. So, yes, in my analogy the pitcher's arm angle at the point of release represents the muzzle at the point of bullet escape.

Stevie-Ray

How about #3 being a myth if it was originally written:

3. Bullets rise as they leave the muzzle of a perfectly level firearm.

As far as #1 goes, I once heard it said, as a shotgun was being racked, "That's the universal sound of Get to hell outta here!" That, I might agree with, instead of the usual, regurgitated "Anybody that hears that will run like hell!"

Metal God said:

I don't like to assume things that were not written in the OP but I think it would be fare to assume he meant the bullet would travel some distance forward of the rifle .
Okay, set the firearm up on a bench with the barrel perfectly level, then fire it. The bullet will not rise above the muzzle.

I understand what you're saying, but it's technically incorrect. When the barrel is aimed up to compensate for gravity drop between the firearm and the target, the bullet doesn't "rise" above the muzzle -- the bullet is aimed and propelled in an upward trajectory.

Metal God said:
I may be splitting hairs here ...
In a word ... yes.

DaleA

Well, I think Metal God explained his post very well and as he explained it he is correct. He has also (I think) acknowledged that if you look at it in other ways...like sighting along the bore axis...then other folk are correct.

P.S. And if you're with Guffey, IMhO you're in good company.

Last edited:

Gunplummer

Hard to tell with recoil, but if you are DIRECTLY behind a rifle when fired, it certainly appears that way. Every once and a while I would be standing just perfect on the M-16 range and you could actually see the bullet go down range. You are not working in a vacuum. Between the spin of the bullet and the bullet hitting the air, it is totally possible that the bullet does rise coming out of the muzzle. I don't see it matters either way.