Do you prefer Swiveling or Non-Swiveling Bipods on you rifle?

jg0001

Subject says it all.

My first bi-pod was a swiveler (an OEM branded 'pod to go with my Walther G22), but my issue with it is that it has no tension whatsoever, so it feels like the rifle just bobbles around and I have to expend effort just to keep the rifle level.

My next bi-pod was a Harris NON-SWIVELING model with notched legs. I have to say, I liked this a lot more --

however, where I shoot for target practice, the area where the bi-pod is placed is not level, and it's also not off 'enough' for just one extra notch on the bi-pod leg to not throw it off the other way.

I suppose what would be perfect is a swiveling bi-pod that has a tension adjustment -- so much so that you could go from making it really loose all the way up to 'non-swiveling'. Is the current production Harris swiveling bi-pod like that? If not, is ANY bi-pod like that? I don't want loosey-goosey, but I'd also like a smidgen of angle.

For those who prefer non-swiveling, what do you do when you are unable to find a level surface to place the bi-pod on? Do you lean off of one leg or perhaps just shoot off angle?

Thanks in advance.

brmfan

How far are you shooting? Under 300 then no big deal if the rifle is canted a bit. Very big deal at long range (700+) and you will need some way to get the rifle as level as possible (assuming you've leveled the scope as well). Tilting bipods with pod-locs are the best way to go under those conditions.

L Puckett

Try the Harris swivel with a KMW Pod-Loc (ratcheting adjuster).

You can adjust the tension in the swivel section of the Harris using the Pod-Loc. Giving you total control over cant and swivel tension.

Most of the serious shooters I know use this system.

LP

Pahoo

I own both types but only use the swivel one, on my Hunters. I never use one when shooting off the bench. Personally I find that they mostly get in the way. I'd rather shoot off bags or use a tree or other natural rests. I've never been in a position where I have to use sticks. When teaching an M/L class, I use a strudy metal tri-pod and rest, for the young ones as the M/L can get a little heavy for them. The older kids want to use it as well but I direct them to shoot from the standing position without support. :mad:

Be Safe !!!

cgbills

Get a Pod-Loc with your swiveling harris. You can adjust the tension from rock solid to loosey-goosey (as you say). Great set up. It is what I and many others use.

jg0001

Excellent. I think I will get the Pod-Loc... I hadn't noticed it, but the place I ordered my prior Harris Bi-Pod from (www.uws.com) happens to be a seller of the Pod-Loc ($29). Thanks, all!

Longdayjake

Let me just say that I love the ones that don't swivel but I have broken 2 of them because I torqued them too hard side to side while hunting rockchucks. One was a harris and the other a rockmount.

James R. Burke

I had one but dont anymore. I think they both have there good, and bad points probably what you like the best. The swivel would be nice to stay with a moving target a lot easier, but the non swivel may be a little more steady. Also what you will be using it for. Just my thoughts on it.