Do you own a CZ-83?

Arkhog

I am adding another concealed carry gun to my collection. I saw a CZ-83 in my local Academy Sports store for $399. I have owned .380's in the past and I am comfortable with the caliber for self-defense. This is a double-stack gun and holds 12 in the magazine.

If you have knowledge of this gun I would like your input.

Thanks.

carguychris

You might want to do a search for the CZ-82, which is the same gun chambered in 9x18mm Makarov. The surplus market is chock-full of cheap CZ-82s, which has prompted lots of online discussion. :)

Just as a courtesy, here's my take on the overall consensus re: the CZ-82:

GOOD:
Reliable, sturdy, and functional
Very accurate due to fixed-barrel blowback design
Easy to take apart and clean
Generally good triggers

BAD:
Strong recoil due to fixed-barrel blowback design (this is not necessarily unique for a .380 though)
Accessories not readily available
Magazines not as cheap as for other semi-autos (~$30 for a used one)
Designed as a service pistol, not for CCW; consequently, it's somewhat heavy, wide, and snag-prone compared to others in its class

ChicagoTex

Were it me, I would much favor the .380 versus the 9x18 Mak for ammo availablity, particularly where quality defense ammo is concerned.

PSP

The CZ83 is a nice medium frame pistol. I enjoy shooting mine, in fact it goes to the range often and as told by my range log is one of my most popular guns. Without seeing the record I wouldn't have thought that.

The gun is reliable, quite accurate, and easy on recoil. It does give some hammer bite though. The original sights are only OK. I never considered the CZ83 for a CCW, but there is no reason not to, if you like the gun.

Factory wood grips were available but have a propensity to crack. I'd skip them. Other wood is available but I can't say I own any. The grip may be enhanced by a Hogue sleeve. Screws tend to back-out so be careful.

IMO the CZ likes lube, so I use TW25b and a bit of oil too. The plastic grips do not hold up to some solvents so be careful with them.

It's best feature is the trigger, which may be the best among the top .380 acp guns around. I would rate it under the Beretta and Sig, but better than Bersa, Taurus, etc. It has no great faults and should render a long, reliable shooting life.

Arkhog

Good feedback

Thanks for the feedback guys. I agree that the .380 is a better choice than the 9x18 for defensive reasons. Ammo variety if nothing else.

As far as size and weight I have given up on tiny guns and pocket pistols anyway. I favor inside the waistband carry. I don't mind a gun with some heft to it.

Majic

One of the better .380s out there. The weight and ergonomics tames the recoil making it a pretty soft shooter IMO. As been mentioned skip the wood stocks for shooting for they will crack. It can be carried cocked and locked. I've had no problems with mine over the years.

carguychris

Thanks for the feedback guys. I agree that the .380 is a better choice than the 9x18 for defensive reasons. Ammo variety if nothing else.
True, and I didn't mean to suggest that you buy a 9x18mm Mak CZ-82 rather than an CZ-83... I was just making the point that the -82 probably has more threads discussing it than the -83. :)

.300H&H

The CZ83<imho>is the best .380 - and I like it better than the Beretta Cheetahs, which are also very good .380's. The CZ is reliable and has a great trigger ie. very smooth. The blowback design is the only neg. ie negative only because it causes a bit more felt recoil, but the CZ is heavy enough to mitigate such recoil...and the CZ is a very accurate pistol.

I've been tempted to buy the .32acp , CZ83 ie. it has a 15 round mag.and is a bit milder. The CZ83 is a well made gun and I would say<imho>the two best bargains in semiautos are the CZ83 and ,in full 9mm, the Ruger P95. Both guns are very well made - but amazingly affordable. In fact I'd say the CZ83 is even better than the more expensive SIG .380. I have never heard anybody say they were disappointed by their purchase of CZ83.

PSP

True, and I didn't mean to suggest that you buy a 9x18mm Mak CZ-82 rather than an CZ-83... I was just making the point that the -82 probably has more threads discussing it than the -83

The CZ83 comes in both calibers, .380 acp and 9mm Mak. You can have both if you want, in addition to the .32 acp mentioned above. The .32 is succeptable to rimlock with the wrong ammo however. The CZ83 in Mak still has the polygonal barrel found on the CZ82, if that is a deciding factor.

Richard

I think the price is high but that might just be me. The CZ82 is a great pistol at a bargain price. Regards, Richard :)

My CZ82:
cz82ii.jpg

dairycreek

CZ83FIST1-R.jpg

I have had this CZ83 for about three years and, from time to time, use it as my concealed carry weapon of choice. I have put about 2K rounds through it and have never, I repeat never, had a single problem of any kind with it. I have put a variety of ammo through it and it does not seem to have any particular preference or dislikes. A thoroughly reliable weapon which I recommend highly.

dairycreek

Thanks for the kind comment about the CZ. For the record the holster is a FIST #1. Good luck in whatever your choice might be.:p