Do you like your Remington 597

wolverine350

Just bought a new Remington model 597 in 22LR, haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, was going to shoot it the other day and the rear sight aperture broke as i was trying to free the sight to adjust it, so now im waiting for a new part from Remington which they are sending free of cost. (Remington Customer Service Is Awesome) then i will be able to take it to the woods. I chose the 597 because of its reliability and quality, the way it shoulders and the awesomew sights it has. I got 8 different loads to try in it, can't wait for the sight aperture to get here

mrawesome22

I have a 597 Magnum LSHB in .17HMR. Extremely accurate and has never jammed yet. The crows and groundhogs hate it though.

dixierifleman

thats a fine little rifle. i almost bought it, but decided on the Ruger 10/22 because of its amount of upgrades. did you get the camo model?

robc

I got one in 22LR a couple years ago. Shot it a bunch of times. Not very accurate compared to my mod. 60 or my bolt-action 22 (another Marlin, but I don't know the model #). Also jammed alot. Many ftf and fte. Sold it for 50 and was glad to be rid of it. And I'm not a guy who gets rid of guns.

1BadF350

I got one in 22LR a couple years ago. Shot it a bunch of times. Not very accurate compared to my mod. 60 or my bolt-action 22 (another Marlin, but I don't know the model #). Also jammed alot. Many ftf and fte. Sold it for 50 and was glad to be rid of it. And I'm not a guy who gets rid of guns.

BINGO!!! Same deal here. I bought one 3 months ago in 22LR. It is a JAM FACTORY! It also will double tap every once in a while. When it doesn't jam, it's very accurate. It jams ALOT though.

horseshoe3

Mine jammed a lot when I first got it. Remington sent me a new ejector and magazine and that helped alot. Still not perfect, but much better. It now jams mostly when I get a wild hair and try to empty a magazine real fast. I think its because I get in a rythm and pull the rifle back into my shoulder with each shot. The rearward motion of the rifle does not allow the bolt to move as much relative to the receiver. Kind of like limp wristing a pistol. That's my theory anyway, don't know if it's correct...

horseshoe3

Another thing, it came from the factory with the barrel retaining clip flipped backwards. The barrel would wobble around and there was no way a scope could work being mounted on the receiver. I took the clip off and turned it around so that the bevel matched the taper on the barrel and now everything is rigid.

mikejonestkd

The two that I have shot seemed to be fine rifles for the money but I like the feel of the 10/22 and the marlin models better.

Te Anau

I love my 597.Its adult sized,extremely accurate,reliable with bulk ammo & doesnt require a visit to the chiropractor after a trip to the range like a Marlin 60 or 10/22 would.

wolverine350

Yes i got the camo model from walmart for 149.97, i have shot the 597 in the past 3 different guns on different occassions, all 3 were very accurate and was all very reliable and shot well, i will post again once i get my sight on and can go shoot it

dixierifleman

should of bought it few months ago. dont know why the price jumped up, but i noticed it did with that un and the Mini-14. the 597 used to be 124.99 and the Mini used to be 541.99.

Trip20

I don't normally post when all I have is a "my friend" situation... but my friends 597 has been operated in my presence so often due to the fact that he is also my main small game hunting partner, that I feel somewhat qualified to relay his experiences - especially those encountered in my presence.

The only complaint I've heard from my friend has to do with the magazines. The mags have contributed to sporadic bouts of unreliability in feeding and ejecting rounds.

He's had both types of magazines (old and new) and both have resulted in the unreliable feeding at times. I want to stress the "at times" because this is not an issue all of the time.

Accuracy is awesome - certainly good enough for fun plinking and small game hunting. Looks great. Affordable.

Has Eagle International released their higher capacity magazines for the 597? I thought that was due to happen in October of 2006, but I haven't heard any additional news.

dfaugh

Another "my friend" response (althoug I don't usually respond to these either.

Seems like most people that hd "early ones" had numerous feeding problems (magazine related?), However, the newer ones seem to have fixed that problem. The do appear (like all .22s I've seen) seem to be finicky w/ ammo as far as accuracy, but again that seem to hold true for any .22 (Groups in my Marlin 60 range from 1.25" to .5", depending solely on ammo.)

HectikMind7

I had one too. LSHB in .22lr. Very accurate, but there aren't any mods for it compared to the 10/22. I also had the same problem. The mags are junk. I think they need a stronger spring. Oh and if it helps, the best groups I ever got came from Wolf Match Grade. I bought it in bulk to plink with and it turned out great. Better then the German stuff I bought for $15 for 50rds. I have pictures as well but I don't know how to post them.

sanson

my 597 jammed a lot until I tinkered with the mag and found ammo it liked. a friend bought it from me so I bought my first 10/22.. the 597 was a little more accurate but the ruger never jams. I'm partial to accuracy with rifles. I have heard rumors that ruger barrels are not always the most accurate.

wolverine350

:D well still waiting on my rear sight piece from remington to get here so i can put my rear sight back together , however i did buy me a cheap tasco 3x9x40 scope tonight at wally world and got it mounted on my camo 597, gonna take it to the field tomorrow and finally get to shoot it for the 1st time, cant wait to see how it does, i got a ton of 22lr ammo to try consisting of cci blazer sp, remington thunder bolts, remington hp golden bullet bulk, federal hp bulk, winchester xpert bulk, winchest x22lrpp, so gonna have a little fun tomorrow

stevelyn

I don't own one, but have shot a couple of them extensively. The rifle itself is okay. The magazine design sucks and causes a lot of hangups. Plastic, metal, aftermarket, OEM.......... it doesn't matter they all suck.

Jseime

The only complaint I've heard from my friend has to do with the magazines. The mags have contributed to sporadic bouts of unreliability in feeding and ejecting rounds.

He's had both types of magazines (old and new) and both have resulted in the unreliable feeding at times. I want to stress the "at times" because this is not an issue all of the time.

There are actually 3 types of factory magazines with the remington 597.

The original... all plastic with a metal spring...Junkers
The second generation...some manganese or magnesium alloy...Mainly junkers
The third generation... deeper internally with a longer thicker spring sits a little lower out the bottom of the gun... mine never fails even when i bust off ten in a row

The Eagle 30 rounders are supposed to be coming very soon (like last july) but they should be out early this year (yeah right) according to the company i already ordered mine they are just holding the credit card information until the mags are released and itll be in the mail.