do you keep your magizines fully loaded forever?

cajun47

i have a few ruger p89 9mm mags fully loaded from the early 90s. i have some ak47 mags with 38 rounds in a 40 round mag since 1999. i keep my 870 shotguns fully loaded for years, same with my 10/22 30 round mags. they all work fine but will they eventually start to fail?

i just bought a new beretta 92f and plan on keeping the mags fully loaded.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Some yes, some no.

If you notice that the mags you leave fully loaded begin to have the springs weaken (you DO check them regularly, right?) then replace the springs and underload by a round in the future. If you don't see any problems then leave them loaded.

IMO, this is primarily an issue of magazine design and spring quality. I've got some that don't seem to every have problems and some that have weakened noticeably.

atblis

Alright

This is a popular topic.

If your springs are made out of the correct material
and they are not compressed/streched outside of a certain range
They will last pretty much forever (we're talking many millennia here)

Now, the problem is that you don't know what the springs are made out of, or if you're outside of their acceptable operating range.

We are dealing with manufactured consumer goods here, so you cannot make the above assuptions (I don't care who made it).

I would download them a touch (25 rounds in a 30 round mag), and not worry about it. They should be fine.

Crosshair

I went out with friends and shot two magazines of 7.62x39 ammo out of my Saiga. The mags had been loaded for well over a year and they fed just fine. Properly made springs wear out from being cycled, not from having a constant load on them.

omnibus1967

i download 20%. have a FNP 9 that has 16 rd mags. i keep 13 in the mags and they seem to feed fine.

13 rds of Golden Sabre +p should do the trick.

eltorrente

Well, for what it's worth, when I was in the Navy (1989-93), when in port we would have at least two watch standers guarding the boat. No, not the "ship" (heaven forbid) it was a boat (a sub). The guy on the pier had an 870 12-gauge with folding stock, and the guy topside had a 1911 and 3 clips. Not only did we have to leave the gun unloaded, but each clip was loaded with only 5 rounds to ensure the spring didn't get worn. I'm not sure how much those clips ever got changed out, but I honestly think it was the same bullets sitting in those clips for the whole time I was there :D.