Do you have a Polychoke? Is it any good?

kozak6

I'm thinking about getting one installed sometime in the future.

If you have one, what do you think about it?

WIN71

polychoke

I have two win model 12's with polychokes and they work fine. Of course when these were installed there was no such thing as screw in chokes which are a much smoother looking setup. Just a suggestion but you could check with a gunsmith. A friend of mine had a 50 year old 20 ga. 870 modified for screw in chokes and it turned out very nice.

kudu

They work fine but are a bit obnoxious on the end of the barrel, and they seem to hurt the reselling value of the gun compared to screw in choked barrels. If you have 2 identical guns, let's say M12's, one with a polychoke and one without, the one without will sell for probably 20% more than the polychoked gun.

Ammo Junky

I have a old win semi auto with a pchoke. I have no complaints. I dont know why people hate them. I dont know if the patteren was worse or there just plain ugly.

gordo b.

I have a poly choked Rem 31 12ga. and a Cutts Compentator (interchangeable chokes) Model 12 Winchester. They both are very useful and pattern real good!:)

WSM MAGNUM

I had a polychoke on my Remington 1100. It worked very well on it. Thinking about now, it was kind of ugly. But there was no problem selling it about 20 years ago.

Csspecs

I am planing to have one put on the saiga 12 I am getting in a week or so. I see it as a utility item, not a thing of beauty.

Ruger4570

That is true, they certainly are not a thing of beauty. That is probably the only thing "wrong' with them. I had one and my shooting buddy has one,, They certainly do what they are supposed to do, I just prefer screw in chokes and most guns can be fitted with them..

SKYDIVER386

I have always liked Polychoked guns with the comp because they reduce recoil a LOT more than most folks realize. It might not seem like it to someone who only fires 2 or 3 rounds while out hunting, but if you shoot trap, skeet, sporting clays or hunt doves where 100 rounds a day is average, the overall reduction in recoil is trememdous.

The advantage of simply twisting the collar from one setting to the next, rather than having to use a special wrench to remove one tube and install another is a real plus. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

BTW, beware of the new Polychoke adjustable tubes for shotguns manufactured with choke tube systems. I know several people including my son who have purchased these for various guns and none of them were threaded properly. They could easily strip the threads in a shotgun barrel. The older ones for shotguns NOT equipped with choke tubes must be installed by a gunsmith and those are perfectly ok.

dakotashooter2

I put one on an 870 barrel back in the early 80's. It wasn't pretty but definately had it's advantages. At the time I did a considerable amount of waterfowl hunting. It was nice to be able to change chokes "on the fly". When sneaking on geese it was usually set on full but on occasions where we were able to sneak up verrrry close I would open it up to get as large a pattern as possible often resulting in multiple birds with one shot. I am planning on having that barrel cut down to 18" and the pollychoke reinstalled for my home defense/utility gun.