Do we really need "extra heavy" bullets?

44 AMP

Staff
For the last couple of decades, what I'll call "extra heavy" bullets have been gaining in popularity. 180gr .357, 300gr .44, & 325gr+ in .45 caliber for example. We went along fine for many many years with the "standard" heavy bullets being 158/160 for .38cal, 240/250 for .44 and 250 for .45. Why have we gone to such heavy bullets? Do we really need them?

Some folks today seem to think nothing less than the 180 in .357 is good for anything (other than the 125JHP for defense) Why? Everybody talks about shooting 300gr in their .44s and 325s in their .45s, why are the traditional heavy weights being ignored so much?

I notice that nobody seems to be pushing extra heavy bullets in autoloaders!:D

So, what are your opinions? Is it all about getting more energy on paper, or significantly better penetration? Mass and speed determine energy, but with a fixed maximum pressure, all you can really to is vary things a bit, so why shoot extreme heavy bullets?

vanilla_gorilla

Most people do it for the real or perceived need for more penetration. The 180 grain .357 and the 300 grain .44 are reputed to be good penetrators, and some people just like to know they're flinging out the heaviest bullets their gun/load will take. I did that a couple of times, but now it doesn't really matter to me.

Of course, I rarely load to full power in any magnum caliber anymore, either.

Majic

Well you know the old bigger is better theory. Just look at the S&W Model 500 and explain that. Now some hunters are really stretching the range at which shots are taken. For that the extra heavy bullets shine as the silhoulette shooters have shown us what heavy bullets do at long ranges.

azsixshooter

When I'm way out in the backcountry alone I like having the Buffalo Bore Heavy .357's in my S&W 686. At home I keep it loaded with some 158gr HP's, but that's just because I don't have any 125gr HP's for it.

I sure wish Federal would come out with a 125gr HST in .357...I'd be on that like stink on a monkey!

tulsamal

I usually keep a couple of boxes of extra heavy Beartooth bullets on the bench in three different calibers. .41, .44, and .45.

There are two reasons that I use them on occasion. The obvious first one is penetration. I like the designs that Beartooth sells they call wide flat nose. They aren't far from full wadcutters. If you used a bullet like that in a "standard weight" the drag imposed by that design would seriously limit penetration. But if you bump the weight way up there, the darn things will go all the way through any game animal I've ever shot with them. You KNOW you are going to get full penetration no matter what angle the animal is standing at. Sort of the opposite of hunting deer with a .44 Magnum and the Sierra 180 grain JHC bullet. I've done that and it works but you have to wait for the perfect broadside shot. The bullet needs to be put into the ribcage directly. No heavy bones in the way. And a stern shot would be crazy. The heavy hardcast bullets can do that.

The other reason you may not have thought of. If you increase the bullet weight, you can decrease the velocity but still maintain a similar killing punch. For instance, you could load a .44 Magnum to max velocity with 240 grain JHP's. Muzzle and cylinder blast will be a pain. If you take it out in the woods to hunt a deer, a single shot without hearing protection will make you regret the whole deal. (I've done that with .357 125 grain max loads and had my ears ring for two weeks!) Nobody likes to fire a handgun without hearing protection but it happens sometimes, especially when hunting. You could take that same .44 Magnum and load it with a 320 grain bullet and an 85% load and be better off. It will still put the deer down with no problem and the flash and blast will be much less. (The heavier bullet may well make recoil heavier but it won't be as "snappy.")

That second reason is the most common reason for me to go to a heavy cast bullet. Lower velocity, more well behaved when firing. You can get some amazing results with Magnum calibers and light bullets over max charges of something like WW296. But they are much more tiring to shoot than a heavy bullet at more sedate velocities!

Gregg

CraigC

As a rule, no, not really. Those standard weight bullets you mentioned are perfect for general purpose work and woods bummin' at 800-1000fps will fully penetrate any deer that ever lived and all but the biggest of hogs. For dedicated hunting, 1200-1400fps will flatten out trajectory nicely, making hits on game out to 100yds easy enough for the seasoned sixgunner. IMHO, those heavyweight slugs are only necessary on much larger game as well as anything that bites back. Which means that 99.99% of the time, I have no use for them.

Speaking only of cast bullets because some heavy jacketed bullets are actually quite tender and open up on deer sized game.

azredhawk44

I think that ever since everybody on the gunboards picked up and moved to Alaska or Africa, we have an obligation to use the heaviest bullets with the most penetration. Those rhinos and moose in our yards aren't going to harvest themselves, and we have to be prepared for when the lions and grizzlies come to contest our kills. :p

It's just something new to do, IMO. I played with them for a bit, but living in AZ, I just don't have a use for them here. My redhawks are capable of pushing those bullets (and even heavier ones due to the extended cylinder length over comparable 44's from other vendors), but I just don't have anything to shoot in AZ that a nice, mellow 240gr@1100fps won't take care of.

44 AMP

Staff
Just wondering, because....

Of a couple of things. Many years ago, back when he was still hunting, my father (who only shot factory loads from Rem or Win) asked me if there was a load for his .44 that wouldn't go all the way through a deer. Both the deer he had taken with his S&W M29 had complete penetration. I told him I didn't think there was, but try the 180gr. Unfortunately he never got the chance to take another deer, and is now long years in the home of the wind.

So, I got to thinking, all those folks complaining about overpenetration for self defense for two reasons, first, danger (real or imagined) to bystanders, and second, loss of energy transfer from a bullet that exits. Now here we have the hunters, who seem to post overwhelmingly about extra heavy bullets so they can get penetration! And now we have a post (or two) about using the ultra heavies at less than top velocity getting good results.

Stopping power theory in the past century plus has been two basic philosophies. For arbitrary reasons, I'll call them US and British. US philosophy has evolved into "fast, expanding bullets are best", and to get them fast, normally means light. Lee Juras's Super Vel ammo led the charge back in the 70s, and today, everybody does it. And it does work, to a point. It has worked well enough that the 9mm (with the right ammo) is now generally considered a viable, and even potent self defense round, which it never was with FMJ ammo.

The British theory has always been (until recently) big, heavy (for their caliber) bullets at moderate, or even slow speed. And this too seems to work tolerably well, but better in bigger calibers.

So now we have the popularity of extra heavy bullets for hunting (at top speeds) and maybe even for SD (at low speeds)? But some guns can't fit them, and for others, you have to seat them really deep, which means less powder, so you are lowering the possible top speed obtainable by two factors (weight + reduced powder) at the same time. And, it seems reasonable to me that they put a greater strain on your gun, which may be nothing, but over time, it maybe something, as not all guns are built like bank vaults.

Joy to the revolver shooters (and Contender shooters) as we can use these monster heavy slugs if we choose, while those who shoot autoloaders really cannot change their ammo very much without rebuilding their guns, if that is even possible.

Are bullet makers today building their "standard" heavy bullets to open up like the light weights, so the super heavies are needed for good penetration? Or is that just the impression being given by Internet masters? I remember a day when a hot loaded 158/160gr .357 or a 240/250gr .44 would go through damn near anything you might shoot it at, short of thick plate steel. Is this not the case today? Sure seem to sound like it on the web!

Some good answers so far, keep 'em comin'!

Shooter 973

Heavy Bullets?

I've often wondered the same thing about heavy bullets. Who really needs them? I've never had a problem with penitration using "standard" weight bullets. The few deer that I've shot with a 44 mag. were handled very well with 240 gr. Jacketed or 240-250 gr. cast bullets. Never recovered any of them on broadside shots. And only one that penitrated the full length of a medium size Mule deer. Shot from head on (chest) and the bullet was recovered in the right hind quarter.
As for 357 I haven't found a need for anything heavier than the standard weight of 158gr. in either cast or jacketed. In fact I use 140 gr. jacketed bullets when I want a jacketed load. and a 150-158 gr. cast bullet the rest of the time.(about 98%).
I just don't see the need, or appreciate the heavier recoil from anything heavier than Standared bullet weights.
I guess I'm just to Old the change my mind now!:(

Colt46

really heavy bullets offer superior penetration

Heavy bullets hold on to velocity better and are less likely to drift in cross winds. For hunting large game with a handgun they are superior in most cases.

Cayoot

This goes right along with the current thinking that you need a 300 Win Mag for deer and black bear.

Those old timers with their 30-30s had no idea what a poor job of killing deer and black bears they were doing. The deer and black bear would have been alot more dead had they been using enough gun!:barf:

The Tourist

I'd like to have the option.

About the only firearm I own currently where the issue would arise is for my .44 Rem Mag, and even that's a maybe.

Not because of desire, but because I'm not sure the overall length of a heavily loaded cartridge always fits in an SW cylinder.

I do use a Keith 429421 cast bullet. If needed (and if it fit) I like the 300 grain profile by Laser-Cast, or some other LBT style bullet.

44 AMP

Staff
Well there is a difference between you can, and you ought to

Yes, there is no arguing that extra heavy bullets retain velocity and have decreased wind drift, but it is a small percentage of difference.

I have to wonder at the "shortness" of the S&W cylinder, considering that they designed the gun for the ammo that Elmer Keith convinced Remington to make. Some how I don't think the inventors of the round considered the cylinder "short".

Interesting thing that while not all revolvers have cylinders long enough to use the extra heavys, NO Autoloaders can. At least not without seriously reducing the room for powder, and most autoloader rounds don't have any room to spare in the first place.

Maybe I'll get some of these extra heavy bullets to shoot out of my Contender. If I can get past the recoil, there might be some benefits. ON the other hand, if I want to shoot a heavy bullet from my Contender, I can just use the .45-70 barrel. That will handle heavy bullets (although to date, the heaviest I have used is 385gr). WHOMP!!!!:D

Just realized, looking at my sig line, that some of you might find my questioning of extra heavy bullets a bit hypocritical, so let me clarify. The "bigger bullets" in my sig line refers to larger caliber (diameter), not heavier than usual for any given caliber.

The Tourist

44 AMP said:
Some how I don't think the inventors of the round considered the cylinder "short".

I agree. I think the offending bullets came later.

There is a 325 or 350 grain commercially cast bullet called a "Ram Slammer" that if seated to the recommended OAL is longer than an SW cylinder.

I believe this bullet came out before SW beefed up their lockwork.

skeeter1

Heavy is a fad, AFAIC

Back in the '50's, they made 200gr. .38Spl loads, meant for snubbies. No one makes them any longer.

CraigC

It's not a fad, they certainly have their place. Of that I have no doubt. Their superiority on large or dangerous game is undeniable. They're just not necessary for most purposes.

44 AMP

Staff
OK, so I'm not hunting mammoth, wooly rhino, sabretooth...

or any modern huge beasties, so I really don't have any good use for them.

But you know something?, I do have some of those 210 cast .38 slugs. A friend got them thinking he could load them for his Marlin rifle. Too long to work through the action. He did shoot a few single loaded, then put them away. I got his reloading stuff when he moved, and ran across them the other day. Really long .38cal LRN. Don't think there is a revolver that will take them without seating them really deep.

joneb

I've loaded .357 mag with 180gr bullets at around 1,020fps it's easier on my ears and very accurate.

Socrates

HMMMM.

Since I've conversed in detail with Lee Jurras, well, maybe I'll just post a bit of his writing:
"
Guys usually know the general scenario they will be facing...The NYC detective 's will probably differ from The Montana Hiway Patrolman, just as the guy going after Grizz with his favorite 44 or 45, or 475 and 500 will differ from the Eastern Whitetail hunter...Now this might not answer all your questions G.... BUT...I don't believe there is a pat answer...I personally have tried to choose the equipment for the job...And or offered the Individual a choice. I took my choice, design, and finished product at tested it in a good portion of the world under a variety of circumstances....My choice today for Grizz or Moose in Alaska, My 375 Howdah or my 475 Linebaugh...All lesser game my Ruger 44 Mag SuperBlackhawk.Jurras 180 gr. JSP.... Personal defense My 70 Series 1911.or 4" 25-5....All-around one gun...Probably 44 Superblackhawk....But who wants just one gun.....If I could only own one, I'd probably have to say my Linebaugh 475, could load in down for squirrel or up for bear....All around bullet design Keith style SWC....Hope I haven't confused the issue...For those of you that might mistake my trivia for just an old man...thats what worked and continues to work for me....Onward and upward...the Curmudgeon"

That said: I've got another master hunter-gunsmith, Jack Huntington that believes, and has proven on large, dangerous game that the British were right. Large, or huge, slugs, moving at slow to moderate velocity kill with an authority that their FPE figures don't justify. Something about having a 440 grain slug tearing a 5 foot long hole in you that's nearly 2" in wound channel that just works.

Here is a shot of the meat damage done by a 440 grain, .500JRH slug, moving at 950 fps, through an Asian Buffalo.
meatdamageby500JRH.jpg

Here is a cape buffalo heart, shot with a Garrett Hammerhead, at near double the velocity:
Garrett_Buff_Heart1.jpg

To my eye, they don't look much different. For some reason, the big, flat nosed bullets tend to kill like a .375 H&H rifle, and, on big animals, the wound channel appears similar. Apparently at low velocity the overall area of the bullet contributes to the bullets affectiveness:

Recoveredbullets500JRHor500MAX.jpg

My point here is there is more then one way to skin a cat, and, there are ways to overkill the cat.
Unless I'm going after elephant, I really don't need a bullet over 370 grains in .500 caliber, or .512. 5-6 feet of penetration will do in just about anything, unless you are taking Texas heart shots on game over that size. Then you need that extra penetration, and, in the real world, giant hogs, 1400 pound bears, heck, I drive by bulls that weigh near as much as my car, and their back ends are as wide as the front end on my car, when they are sitting down(yes I have a Toyota Tercel).

The main reason I see for extra heavy bullets, outside such huge animals, is to be able to use expanding bullets.
It's kind of weird, but, it seems in gello you can run into a sort of ballistic wall: I.e. you have to near double the energy to get the bullet to penetrate much more. The faster a HP moves, the faster, and larger it opens up on impact, in most cases. The result is you can shoot the same bullet slower, have it expand less, and penetrate more. I want my HP's to expand as quickly as possible, open up as much as possible, and still give me 18" plus inches of penetration, or more, depending upon what I'm hunting. Depending upon caliber, that maybe a fairly heavy bullet.

Keep in mind the jacket has a LOT to do with the bullets penetration level. Jurras' 180 grain HP is very thick jacketed, as is his SP, with the result he relies on great accuracy and shot placement, along with penetration.
He's also been one of the better shots on the planet for a long time.

So, yes heavy bullets do have a place.

In 357 most of the lighter bullets don't go 18" in gello. Faster you push, the quicker they expand.

Same with 40 and 10mm, going much over 165 grains.

I will say that certain cartridges appear to have a sweet spot, where the heavier bullet suddenly starts eating case capacity, seriously dropping velocity, and, the increase in bullet weight is not worth the loss in velocity.

Also, in big cases, you can push HP's so fast the petals fold back, reducing wounding capacity.

Ideally, I'd like a heavy enough bullet to hit, expand quickly to maximum size, and blow a 20" long hole from one side of the target to the other. This would be a TERRIBLE load if I was hunting elephant, so, just remember Mr. Jurras: Use the right weapon for the likely opponent, or, in the words of Randy White:
"The most important thing is picking the right opponent."

S esq.

WESHOOT2

specialized tools

Traded away my 45 Redhawk; all the dinosaurs around the house are gone.....

But, there is something about a 360g cast bullet, or the superior 325g Swift A-Frame, that reassure the user.

280g Beartooth in 44 Mag; 220g in 10mm (and 40 S&W, but only in certain guns), that perfect 187g Cast Performance in 38/357; a few others.....

But mostly I shoot 124s in 9x19, and 180s in 40, and 210s in 41, and 240s in 44, and 230g in 45 ACP.