DO WANT!!!

noyes

?

attachment.php

B. Lahey

Ah, an 1895 rooski. I also do want, and have been looking for years. My pal Vaarok has one, but he's not selling.:(

That price is a bit silly for one in that kind of condition, though. They command high prices, but I have not seen one priced that high before. If it was actually the claimed 80-90% finish, maybe, but the whole receiver is in bad shape. I would say the 40% receiver would be offset enough by the otherwise nice condition to call it 50-60% total finish. I am not an expert in such things, but saying that one is anywhere near 90% is pretty fuzzy math.
mvc-616s.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

There was a rumor going around that some more may be imported, but it does not seem to have happened. Supposedly many were sent to Siberia, where the elements were not kind to them, making them quite rare.

TXGunNut

I like the AA gun as well. Never been much good @ dove hunting but I feel my luck might change with a piece of ordinance like that! Can't wait for the game warden to show up and check for magazine plugs!
All kidding aside, I love an old levergun with history, even if I'll never know the history. Numbers on this gun don't work for me, either.

DMK

Winchester 1895

I had no idea they made 7.62x54r versions
Winchester made some for Imperial Russia (Pre-Soviet). They made a bunch of them, but they are fairly rare these days.

Citizen Carrier

I've always imagined there is a warehouse somewhere in Russia with thousands of these things in crates, just waiting for a Century Arms rep to stumble on them.

I've even thought the M1895 would make a good action for the Chinese to copy and market...along with the Krag. They've been doing classic shotgun actions (1887 and 1897), so why not the 1895 and the Krag?

Nearly 2/3rds of all Winchester 1895s made were made for the Russian government in 7.62x54R.

They were far more common than any other chambering. But, because all but a few hundred were shipped to Russia, and virtually none have returned, they are VERY uncommon in the United States.

IIRC the next most common chambering was .303 British, followed by .30-40 Krag.