Do the Springer Mil Specs slide/hammer bite?

defjon

Still on the fence between a springer mil spec (~666) dollars and a springer loaded (~725) dollars, new and used respectively. Do these prices seem fair for stainless models?

I had a 1911 GI type model from Argentina, one of those Argentina colts, and it would bite me pretty bad in the web of my hand.

Had a colt series 70 that had an extended beaver tail. Very comfy.

Any mil spec owners that can tell me their experience? From pictures it looks like the hammer might be safe on the mil spec.

Loaded is certainly going to be comfortable/safe.

RickB

I shortened the hammer spur on my Mil-Spec, then rounded the stump, and never got bit. The grip safety did have some sharp edges, and I may have softened those a bit, too.

bigghoss

I have a problem with spur hammers on 1911's you can always relieve and round the under the back of the spur. I saw an write up on box-o-truth.com

I like the commander hammer with bevertail GS because it's more comfortable and I can grip the gun just a hair higher.

TriumphGuy

It'll depend on your grip. I get bit every time by a Browning HP or 1911 GI hammer spur. For right about the middle of that price range, you could take a look at the new Para Ord. GI Expert.

I personally ride pretty high on a 1911 style firearm. I have medium sized hands and I've had the bite. My take is if I get bit by one, I'm not taking the chance to have it happen again. Spend the extra few dollars and be done with it. The other features alone are worth it.

WhyteP38

My SA Milspec never bit my hands, but the sharp edges on the grip safety up where it pivots in the frame tangs, and the frame tangs themselves, would slice parallel lines on my hand webbing pretty good. Never had any problems after I dehorned those areas.

As for whether to get the Milspec or the Loaded, I had both, and both were great. However, I never really needed the extras that the Loaded offered (thought I did at the time), and I tended to use the Milspec more. So if you prefer no-frills guns, consider the Milspec. If you want the frills, consider the Loaded.

I have had to opportunity to fire my new Mil-Spec on 2 occastions so far, and had a red rectangle on my right hand for 4 days. Personally, it doesn't really hurt, and is actually kind of cool.;) I have a very thin pair of Mechanix gloves that are perfect shooting gloves, and with them on, no bite. No problems with the grip safety yet.

rptrower

I just bought a SA Mil Spec which I've fired 40 rds through with no hammer bite. Like other posts, mine needs some work on the grip safety.

goodspeed(TPF)

I personally ride pretty high on a 1911 style firearm. I have medium sized hands and I've had the bite. My take is if I get bit by one, I'm not taking the chance to have it happen again. Spend the extra few dollars and be done with it. The other features alone are worth it.

This +1

TriumphGuy

You guys must get bit worse than I do, because I don't really mind it. I'd rather get bit by the back of a 1911 than the front anyway

You're right about which end to be on, but the last time I was chomped by a hammer spur, I bled so bad I was wondering if I should've gotten stitches. A little nip is alright, but when they get you good, you know it.

bigghoss

I've only been "bit" once, hurt like a mother. most of the time the sharp edge of the spur hammer digs into my hand without pinching it against the GS. started wearing gloves until I got the GS and hammer changed out.

BombthePeasants

I own both, and I've never been bitten by the Mil-Spec, approx. 100 rounds downrange so far. If you're debating between the two, the Loaded is worth every penny, for the trigger alone. It's fantastic.

BillDish

1911 mill spec

I've put thru about 1000 rounds thru my Springer 1911 and have never been bitten. I have pinched myself a couple of times while putting rounds into the clip. The relationship just keeps getting better everytime I take it to the range.

Been thinking of getting the same in 9mm so I can shoot it more...what with the high cost of 45 ammo.

Captain Bligh

No hammer bite here from my Mil-Spec. However, the sharp edges of the rat-tail grip safety irritate the web of my hand after awhile. I want to get rid of the arched mainspring housing and/or maybe dehorn the grip safety.