Do Sigs have stainless slides?

TinyDee

AT one time, blued Sigs had writing that said "Stainless Steel" on the slide and I am curious if all Sigs, particularily a 220 I am looking at is stainless or not. Any help?

wgsigs

All of the new SIGs now have stainless steel slides. That is why they quit stamping them with "stainless", which was originally used to differentiate them from the SIGs with the folded carbon steel slides. If you are looking at a used 220, then a stainless slide will have solid, instead of rolled pins, and the breech block will be integral to the slide instead of a separate piece. At least that was what I have been told.

Last edited:

darko

I just bought a 220-carry with nitron finish. Does this mean that stainless steel is underneath the finsih of the slide?

Logs

Someone told me that all P6's sigs had stainless slides even though there is no mention of anything on the gun. I buffed all the bluing off of mine and found out it is NOT stainless under there. :)

I then had a nickel finish put on it. The bluing was a mess anyway so I didn't mind taking it all off.

Muddflap

All of the new SIGs now have stainless steel slides. That is why they quit stamping them with "stainless", which was originally used to differentiate them from the SIGs with the folded carbon steel slides. If you are looking at a used 220, then a stainless slide will have solid, instead of rolled pins, and the breech block will be integral to the slide instead of a separate piece. At least that was what I have been told.

I believe that is correct also.
All P228, P225/P6, older P226, and older P220 had folded carbon steel slides.
All P229, all P239, newer P226,and newer P220 have the stainless steel slides.
They have stopped labeling the slides recently.

varoadking

If you are looking at a used 220, then a stainless slide will have solid, instead of rolled pins...

SiG has begun using roll pins again in their new production stainless steel slides...

Someone told me that all P6's sigs had stainless slides...

None of them do...

bamaranger

stainless sigs

Further compounding the issue is that a number of SIG models had stainless slides that were anodized or finished in some fashion, so that they did not appear "stainless" but blued. To the best of my knowledge, a stamped, non stainless, P220 slide will have the dual, hollow roll pins and the modular breech block w/ integral extractor, but it could be nickel or dark finished.

A stainless slide will have a single, solid pin, a modular external, extractor
assembly, but could be in the white, or dark finished.

There were certain models of the P220 that have solid, machined, stainless slides, I believe they were billed as match or comp guns. (I think)

The P226 .40 is an example of this arrangement, I have worked on those.

But they are dang heavy for a duty gun.

PeterGunn

This might get me flamed, but I will say it any way... The only SIG worth owning will have "Made in Germany" or "Made in W. Germany" stamped on the side.

While I can appreciate the obvious benefits of having a SS upper, I don't think the SS mitigates the downturn in QC that plagues nearly the entire SIG line since they move the manufacturing/assembly to the USA. In an effort to please everyone with different configurations, finishes, gimmicks and gizmos SIG has become Kimber... yet another sad tale in the handgun market.

On the surface, I might seem a bit nutty, but I will take a stamped SIG classic pistol over a SS SIG any day and twice on Sunday.

bamaranger

I hear ya

I gotta agree. There are alot of "mimed" parts in the SIGs now, and even factory reps will tell ya, (over an adult beverage) that quality is down, w/ a keen eye towards cutting production costs.

But, they all seem to run good. Just seems like getting a BMW w/ vinyl seats
to me.

wgsigs

I can't figure out how to quote another post so this is a response to PeterGunn's post.

I am not going to flame him because he is entitled to his opinion, but I will disagree with some of what he says. I agree that German SIGs are better made in general than the newer made/assembled in US ones, but there are SIG aficionados that would argue that "Made in Germany" guns are not as good as those marked "Made in W Germany".

However, I disagree that the old school guns are the only ones to own. I myself have a W German made P6 and a German made P245. However, I also have a new P229 in .40S&W made in the US with a stainless slide that I think is as nicely finished and shoots as well as my old-school SIGs.

Overall quality is probably down at SIG compared to the German-made days, but I don't think that means that everything that they are putting out is junk and you should never buy a new SIG. Besides I don't think you can get a SIG in .40 or .357Sig without a stainless steel slide.

With that said I have to admit that I am looking for a couple of used W German SIGs, a P228 and P220, to add to my collection when I can afford them. :)