Do it yourself AR-15

Kilroy08

After thinking long and hard about it, I've decided to build my own AR-15 when I have the money. I've compared it against buying one new or used, used pricing being what's availible in the local gun shops, and found it to be cheapest. I also did the homework on a Mini 14. As much as I like that gun, the economics of spare parts and magazines has tilted the balance still in favor of the AR.

I've checked out J & T Distributing, Olympic Arms, and Sarco Inc. on pricing parts, kits, and lower recievers. Anybody else you guys could reccomend?

Lycanthrope

Eagle Firearms for lowers. The Stag lower is the same as a RRA. Generally tighter fit than other lower receivers and used a lot by the Highpower crowd.

J&T has the best overall concensus for parts kits, but I've shot Model 1 sales kits without issue as well.

Handy

J&T parts are great. I got a really nice kit from Sherluck, who usually comes to the gunshows. They might be a tad cheaper than J&T.

Stay away from Model 1 and M&A. Some people have gotten decent stuff from them, but alot of people have not.

For receivers, go to AR15.com and look for threads on stripped receivers. They'll have reviews and best deals listed. Several of the "off brands" like Stag seem to be really excellent and cost less than $100, from the right distributer.

Rock River, Bushmaster, DPMS can also supply you, but the cost will be higher. Cheaper than an assembled rifle from them, though.

Olympic seems to be a good company, but definitely considered a step down from the other big names. Considering the "controversy" over their quality, I'd be inclined to just stay with something no name that no one will have an opinion about.

Another good way to go is to find good deals on complete uppers and lowers. Check these out:
http://webcats.net/store/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=J&Product_Code=AR411&Category_Code=BU
AND
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976282078.htm

boofus

J&T Distributing makes a good product, so does LMT. I was sort of underwhelmed with my Model 1 Sales upper too. But it should go bang.

If you don't want to spend too much get a RRA or J&T kit. Otherwise build yourself up a lower and get a LMT upper. The LMT M4 uppers are as close to military issue as you can get without buying a Colt.

Kilroy08

Sigh

A little off topic, but humor me here

No offense to anybody....

I figured I'd head across town and ask around at AR15.com

Said I was planning a build, Tenatively $575-600 at the most, maybe buy a c mag for the heck of it.

Couple guys were helpful, but the rest jumped on me for asking about the beta mags and being so cheap on the build price. For the price they were saying, I could buy a used one locally.

Is it just a different breed of forum over there or what???

fanoblack

I think a lot of the guys over there are very passionate about their rifles. It shows in how much they spend on it too. Sometimes they forget that other people just want a rifle to shoot, not a rifle with the latest whiz-bang-dohickies slung off its rails.

I assume this is your first build, then build what you want. Learn from this, I've heard the Black Rifle Disease is contagious.:)

fanoblack

Kilroy08

Couldn't agree more. I saw some of the photos posted on there and was impressed. Some guy made a set of wood buttstock, grip, and forearm. Pretty cool.

Some were so tactical that it hurts.

For a first build, I'm gonna go plain vanilla A2 with a leather national match sling. After that, who knows?

Thanks for the help.

DnPRK

From experience, stick with J&T. Unless you like purple anodize, M&A, Sherluck and Model 1 are a crapshoot.

I joined AR15.com this past Monday, to do my research into building my own AR-15. The people there welcomed me. And yes, some are very passionate. I wouldn't take their comments too personally. I'm in the "limited budget" boat myself, and can't justify spending more than $1000 for a decent AR.

I'll be posting questions on ARFCOM after getting more knowledge over there. The parts diagrams help out a LOT. Anyone interested in building an AR needs to do their research on that website, and join to ask questions. They have a specific section there for "Building Your Own" that I'd recommend reading.

fanoblack

This thread in particular.

Some pictures seem to have lost their host but you get the main idea of how to assemble a lower, an upper and free floating handguards. A very useful sticky.

Kilroy08

Purple anodizing??

My M16 in basic was an FN lower with a crazy purple anodized upper.
I always wondered what was up with that.... Gun was accurate and I never could get it to jam. It was an ugly arsenal rebuild, but I loved it.

Kilroy, actually kinda misses basic training, was here :eek: