do i want an L1AL or the HK91 clone?

geo57

im in the market for a .308 semi. from various posts im gonna avoid the cetme. am considering the FAL L1A1 by century or the HK91 clone by either century or federal arms. i'd really like to hear opinions from owners of either of these. in terms of reliability, durability, accuracy & any headaches or problems what has been your experiences?..thanks

Snowdog

Well, there's no FAL-L1A1... those are two different rifles.
Yep, they may look the same, but the FAL is a metric design whereas the L1A1 uses the inch pattern.

The FAL is the better choice, with parts and magazines so plentiful, it's hard not to trip over them.

If you decide on the FAL, try your best to find one using an Imbel receiver.

I have a Springfield Armory SAR48 (FAL clone) and love it. I have yet to hear negative comments on well made FALs (besided the weight).

Good luck in your search.

savagehunter308

i had an HK/FA 91 made by Federal Arms, pretty accurate, VERY HEAVY, very greasy to clean because of the way the recevier is made, the FA model has a huge aluminum reciver witch adds aboot 2 pounds more then it should be, i like the FALS personally better then the 91, now if u get a REAL HK 91.......hands down.....but id get the Sprinfield Fal look alike....or wichever feels best in ur hands, theyll shoot prolly around the same

Noban

geo57 - Check over at www.fnfal.com for lots of infromation on the FAL rifle. Last time I checked their regular discussion boards were down, but the regular crew is keeping the converstations going on the old discussion boards. Just go to the site and it will instruct you on how to access the old boards.

Just my .02 on the Century stuff - yech!

jason10mm

Aren't those Century L1A1s just metric fals dressed up to look like L1A1s? I second the Fal. It is more ergonomic and WAY more lefty friendly. Hell of a lot easier to clean and the triggers are better. My favorite .308 rifle is the M1A, but the Fal is up there. LAter.

Destructo6

I'd go with a FAL if those are your choices. It's much easier to put together a good FAL clone than it is a HK clone.