Do I want a revolver in .40 S&W? I think I do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave R

A bit of background. I've always been a semi-guy. My handguns are all either fun, or CCW. No handgun hunting planned. My only revolver is a S&W 31 in .22. Love the dang thing for plinking and fun.

Thinking about adding a more serious revolver to the collection. Was looking for something concealable, with decent power, and not too flippin much recoil. Liked the idea of the Charter Bulldog. Small, light, .44spcl. Only thing I didn't like was gearing up to reload ANOTHER caliber. New dies, working up a load, new bullets to try, etc. I know, part of the fun.

Was getting set to pull the trigger, so to speak, when BAM! I find Charter has a Pitbull model in .40S&W.

I already reload for .40 S&W. I checked ballistics. From a 2.5" barrel, there's not much difference. Equivalent bullet weights had very similar velocities. Except the spcl can handle heavier bullets. Not sure I want to do that in a light CCW piece, anyway.

So I'm thinking my first revolver will be a .40S&W, so I can keep ammo commonality.

Thoughts?

Viper225

I have a 4" 610 No Dash, as well as a 2.5" 310 Night Guard.
The 610 is a Power Custom Combat done by Ron almost 20 years ago. Great gun, and fun to shoot.
The 310 Night Guard looks much better with a set of S&W Walnut Finger Groove compac grips. It also stings a little with 40 S&W ammo in any quantity.

If you are looking for a budget 40 S&W revolver I would probably look at a Taurus before the Charter. The Charter does not use moon clips. Moon clips are 50% of the reason to own a 40 S&W revolver. The other 50% would be cheap available brass. Then we have another 50%, that being very serious knock down power in a very small package. Well I guess that should be 33% for all. Did I mention I like shooting 40 S&W in a revolver?

A buddy of mine picked up an L Frame 40 S&W for a project that did not pan out a while back. I was putting some serious thought into a trade offer for his Smith & Wesson when he told me his wife claimed it for her concealed carry gun. Darn!! Not sure if it was the Ti cylinder version or the SS version.
I would like to add a SS cylinder one to the rotation.
She could always get a bigger purse to carry my XDm 40 with TFO sights and 7 or 8 magazines.

Bob

swopjan

I have no experience so I say get it and give us a range report :) I love shooting .40 S&W and I want a Pitbull too.

Status
Not open for further replies.