Do I want a P7?

glockopop

I now have a Glock 35 in .40 and a SIG 226 in 9mm. My girlfriend has a Ruger 22/45 and a BHP in 9mm that I can shoot whenever I like. I've pretty much decided what my next few purchases will be. I have a Wilson 1911 on layaway now, and after that I'll probably get an S&W .38. After a reloading press, I really don't know what I want next. I'm thinking that maybe I could just save up for a while and get something really expensive. If I'm going to spend more than, say, $1000 a P7 is at the top of the list. I don't know why it is, but I want to own some kind of HK, and the P7's a unique pistol. I've never handled one, only saw one once at a gun show and after I saw the price tag I didn't even want to touch it. Where can I find one? Which one should I get? Where can I find holsters and mags? Is there anything else I should consider for that kind of money?

Tom2

Big ticket piece

Seems to me that the gun is really high quality, but I don't think that it is any better than a compact Sig in that respect. If there was great demand for them and alot of police orders, I don't think it would be a 1000$ gun. Market would bring down the price to comparable to others, in my opinion. But it is now a cult item and they are getting uncommon and hard to find around here. And the squeeze cocking feature might throw you off a little bit after being used to standard auto actions. I guess it is nice if someone snatches the gun, most won't know that they are supposed to grip the front till it pulls back, to fire. That is helpful if you have a backup. In practical terms I don't know if you get your moneys worth but I don't think you will have to worry about it losing value. Like, a discontinued Colt model may not work any better than a comparable in production Smith as a practical shooter, but the high price will not decline any time soon!

varoadking

In brief...it is the finest 9mm ever made. I only have 2...at the moment...

PM.jpg

solz56

Local store has a used one and one or two new. They feel nice in the hand. Neat design. I see nothing but praise for the P7 - I wish the range had one for rent so I could try one out.

MoW

Wow, what a gun the P7M8 or P7M13 both are. They are on a par with my P226 and P228. If you have the chance to get 1---do it!

uncut

I just recently got a Walther P5........ and I can't wait to get a P7......
those Germans just make great guns....:D
I never shot one... but it is a cult and I belive one of those belongs in every gun collection.... I mean how many other squeeze cock triggers is there ????

Buy it and never look back

Greg Bell

Get the P7 now. The price on these things is getting nuts. The days of the $600 nice but used P7 are coming to a close. The P7 is absolutely unlike any other gun on the market. You can't go wrong because if you don't like it you can sell it and almost surely for a profit.

rhgunguy

Is there anything else I should consider for that kind of money?

The fact that no matter how much you spend I will be victorious in the battle of the wundernines with my $379 CZ-75! Bwahahaha!

SoonerBJJ

Absolutely get one if you're even considering it. They are totally unique design that is great fun to shoot. Very smooth and one of the most accurate 9mm made. They are getting more difficult to find and they are one of the few handguns that you are almost guaranteed to be able to sell for more than you paid for it although I know I would never sell mine.

HK_P7

Looking at my Log On name, you probably know what I'm gonna say...:D . Seriously, it is a great pistol. I wouldn't mind having a second one.

steelheart

I would highly recommend the P7 - it is the best 9mm pistol ever made (even Jeff Cooper says so). I would not part with mine for love or money.

The P7M8 is considered to be the best design of all the P7 variants - it is flat, easily concealed, not too heavy and unbelievably accurate (as are all P7's). The M13 is a great pistol also, but is a bit on the bulky/heavy side from what I have read and heard.

P7's are expensive, but you just can't go wrong - you will always be able to resell it quickly for what you paid for it or more. If you do get a P7, get all the H&K made magazines you can find - they are becoming very hard to find and Promag P7 mags are junk, from all I've heard.

Ozzieman

It is the finest 9 mm BUT

I have owned one and there has never been a gun that I liked more or hated less. If you have shot a great deal and you're shooting style is a looser hand. When doing quick shots I couldn't get the gun cocked each and every time.
It's not the guns fault it's the shooter (me). I shoot so many different guns and shoot so much that I didn?t feel that the gun was what I needed and sold it after one year.
The thing is no matter what auto you shoot the way the gun functions is much the same, the safety (if it has one) works and is within the same location. All you do is squeeze the trigger.
With the KP7 you have to purposely squeeze the cocking lever and then pull the trigger. It's not much but if you don?t train with the gun a great deal then in an emergency situation when time counts for everything,,, you might have a gun that won't go off.
Again this is not a mark against the gun,,, but a mark against the person handling it.
I still say it's the finest 9mm every built,, but it's not for everyone.
What impressed me most was that the recoil (gas delayed action) the recoil was less than a 380 in the same size gun.

Last edited:

solz56

All this P7 talk (and a couple other threads on it) made me curious.

Stopped by the shop that has the used one around here at lunch because I was buying some lube anyway. They want $1200.00 for the P7 M8. It is in like-new condition. It really doesn't look to have ever been fired. But, that's still way too steep - even if they were talked down a couple hundred it's too much. I mean, the new ones they have are around $1500.00 (have 2 left).

Satisfied my curiosity anyway. If I ever see one for $500 to $700, I'll give it some thought. It does sound like a great handgun. I only wish my range had one for rent.

waterhouse

If I ever see one for $500 to $700, I'll give it some thought.

These days if you stop to give it some thought at that price it will be quickly gone. If you see one for 5-700, buy it. You could always turn around and sell it for 8-900 if you don't like it.

exit

Hk P7

Love my 1911s and my Sigs but nothing absolutely nothing comes close to the P7 line for what we all want in a pistol. If John Browning were alive today he would consider Hk's work with this pistol to be an admirable contender to his own, God rest his genius soul.

Ozzieman

Around here

A beat up, scratched, no box bluing gone will bring 500 to 700 and people will stand in line as long as the gun functions.
1200 might be a little high but NIB like I don't think your going to find one that much cheaper.

SouthpawShootr

I have 3. They are exceptionally well made guns. My first was a P7PSP in pristine condition (that one set me back $800). At the height of the ASW ban, I purchased a P7M13 for $1300 and two full cap mags (best price I've seen on these mags BTW is $90 each). Finally, I rounded out the stable with a P7M8 a few months ago. I was just browsing in my favorite local place and they had a refurb with Meprolight night sights on consignment for $700. Condition was like new, so I bought it. They're accurate and fun to shoot but get a little warm during prolonged range sessions b/c the gas piston is right next to the triggerguard. M8s and M13s have a heat shield to reduce this a little. People get either really passionate about these guns or really can't figure out what the fuss is about them.

Dobe

P7M8...Great handgun

I prefer the 1911 to all others, but the P7 is a fine handgun. It is amoung my top choices of handguns. The bore axis is even lower than a 1911, and it points like a 1911. It also has a thin anatomy (P7M8) like the 1911.

No wonder I like it so much.

Dobe