do I really want another 92fs?

vikingextreme93

I have a 92fs with the stainless slide (think it is a gander exclusive) I picked up last spring and have really grown to love this pistol. I am thinking about getting another 92fs to rotate range time with I have other firearms so I am solely looking at this for a backup if you will. I have toyed with the idea of a A1 variant with the rail but I am not sure because my P95 is my "flashlight" handgun. What are some pro's and con's to either the M9/A1/92fs conundrum? My thought is to go with another 92fs simply because my understanding is that the M9 and A1 variants have some differences that would not allow for a situation were I could slap the slide of one onto the other. Yes I am slightly paranoid but by having two pistols I could do this with is that in the event that someday obtaining handguns becomes virtually impossible I could use one to ensure the other is operational (read spare parts).

pgdion

Yes you do! :). Can't have to many 92's. I have my eyes on another myself. Either a 92 or a 96 A1. I figure the A1 so it will be a little different. Sounds to me like maybe you need the classic all black 92FS:D

Nothing wrong with a pair!
DSC06250.jpg
[/IMG]

AustinTX

Yes, you do want another 92. :D You can't go wrong with any of the variants, but for your priorities (having guns with maximum parts commonality), it sounds like the 92FS might be better for you than the 92A1. Shipwreck owns or has owned all of the standard variants, so he'll be better able to say which parts are interchangeable between the FS and the A1.

Maybe you should consider the M9A1. It's really just a railed 92FS with a couple of other minor differences (beveled mag well and grip checkering). The upper is a 92FS upper. All parts will interchange.

Slugthrower

Yes you do want a second pistol of the same caliber and make. If you ever have to use that pistol to defend yourself, the police could end up taking it as evidence in a trial.

If that was to happen, there could be a real chance that the family or friends of the person you had to shoot might decide to administer some justice of their own. You know the "He was a good boy." mindset sometimes gets in the way of logical thought processes and leads people to do stupid things.

With that thought in mind it makes perfect sense to have a back up pistol that you are very familiar with to do for you what that now missing one was doing. Spare parts or just a pistol that you are saving till you wear your primary out is as good a reason as any.

Just be sure to test it and make sure it works fine and feeds the ammo you choose to use of self defense, then just stow it away and hope to keep it as a safe queen or in the least as a replacement. Besides you never know, they might quit making it one day and it could have some real collector value. For those that collect firearms as it were.