Do I Really Need a 7-08

roc1

I just sold my 7-08 Ruger to one of my electricians who made an offer I could not pass up. It is a great round but since I now have a XCR Remington in 270 a Ruger #1 and CZ 550 in 243 both. I also have a Tanf safety Ruger in 30-06 besides a 308,22-250,223. I guess I was thinking I really do not need to replace the 7-08 as it was ainly for hunting and some plain old target shooting. Just wanted others ideas.
Thanks in advance
roc1

warbirdlover

I got rid of a Browning A-bolt Micro-Medallion in 7mm-08 that I had a heck of a time working up a decent load for that would make it under an inch at 100. Not one factory load would come close. I was not all that impressed with the 7mm-08. Nice deer hunting round for a kid or woman but that's about it.

I got rid of a Browning A-bolt Micro-Medallion in 7mm-08 that I had a heck of a time working up a decent load for that would make it under an inch at 100. Not one factory load would come close. I was not all that impressed with the 7mm-08. Nice deer hunting round for a kid or woman but that's about it.

So, you're blaming the inaccuracy of your rifle on the ammo? This is a rifle problem, not an ammo problem. Especially if it wouldn't shoot straight with handloads...

BikerRN

While I'm no expert, I did notice in my time with the 7mm-08, that other rounds were easier to work up accurate loads for and that it didn't do anything that other rounds couldn't already do.

Biker

roc1

I liked mine it is that with the purchase of the 270 and already having an30-06 and 243 I really do not think I really need it. What do yall think?
roc1

I don't think it fills any role that your .270 doesn't already fill, so I would say no, you don't "need" one, but "want" is a different story...

mdd

25-06 would fit in that line-up nicely. But then again it is possible i'm biased in favor of the lttle 06 & I think everybody needs one. I have two just in case.

warbirdlover

So, you're blaming the inaccuracy of your rifle on the ammo? This is a rifle problem, not an ammo problem. Especially if it wouldn't shoot straight with handloads...

No, I'm blaming it on the rifle. I did get a handload worked up that grouped good but not as good as I usually can

(I had a heck of a time working up a decent load that would make it under an inch at 100).
But I DID accomplish it.

Factory ammo wouldn't group at all in this rifle.

The Ruger 77 I bought after selling this A-bolt groups 1/2-3/4" with cheap factory ammo. I still have this rifle. And I sold all my handloading equipment since I didn't need any grouping better then that. 15 years and the gun still shoots these groups.

I just didn't like the 7mm-08 all that much. It's best use is by kids or women because of the low recoil.

Last edited:

trigger45

well you have a .243 and a .308. so short action is taken care of. a .270 and a .30-o6 long action taken care of. get a magnum muzzleloader. my omega gets 1 inch groups at 100 yards with 240 .44 jhps sabots and 110 gr. of t7 ff. clean up with simple green.

lockedcj7

I see this argument all the time and sometimes get wrapped up in it myself. From the sounds of your collection, you certainly don't need it but so what? The better questions would be, "Do I want one?" and "Can I afford one?"

I had a Remington 700 ADL in 30-06 with a decent 3-9x40 scope. With all the different ammo available, and the fact that I reload, I can shoot everything from varmints to Kodiak and never feel like I don't have the right gun.

But I'm not just a hunter, I'm a "gun guy". I like to own them, shoot them and trade them. I have a 7mm-08 Rem. 700 Mountain Rifle and I absolutely love it. With the tiny barrel contour, it struggles to shoot 2MOA with factory ammo and a .75" 3-shot group is the best I've ever done with my best hand-loads. It's light, has great looking lines and does a great job on deer under 300 yds. By far, it's the rifle I reach for most often.

So why did I just trade the 30-06 and get a both a heavy-barreled .308 and a Sendero in .270? There isn't a nickel's worth of difference between any of them! The answer is that I had the money and I wanted them. What more justification do I need?

PawPaw

On the other hand, I once owned a Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08. Mine was a magnificently accurate rifle, and it loved the cheap green-box 139 grain load with Core-lokt bullets. It was so accurate with that load that I didn't even try to reload for the caliber. I routinely shot shot crows with it at 250 yards to keep my eye in for the deer season.

I lost that rifle in a divorce and the resultant financial dynamics. I have other rifles now, but I'll always miss that Model 7.

But, to answer the original question, no, you don't need a 7mm-08.

gak

From a die-hard .270 fan...

The 7mm-08 is one of the classic calibers. No, it is not just a youth or woman's round/rifle. That's poppycock. With its short action, and yes lower recoil compared to its parent .308 and the longer standard action rounded rifles, and wide array of .284 bullets, it makes for the perfect all around "sub elk" gun and especially fulfills the "mountain rifle" role to a T. It does amazingly well out of the shorter barrel lengths (18-20-22") and under 300 will do basically anything the .270 will on most medium-sized game...and this is coming from a die-hard .270 nut. So no, you don't need it, especially given your current array of guns as others have said. But it is especially one of those calibers/guns to seriously consider if the question is "I'm going deer hunting. I have nothing. What...?" (whether just starting out or a veteran shooter without a gun) ...especially if ranges are not regularly expected to exceed 300 yds...which is, let's see, most of us.

oneoldsap

I agree with gak , my 7-08 ( Rem M7 ) is the lightest centerfire rifle in my battery . Ergo the one I carry most . I must be lucky because mine shoots everything I feed it very well , and it has yet to fire a factory round !

MOshooter65202

I will have to go with"No you don't need it" but do you want to have it???
I have several rifles that overlap one another has far as preformance,do I need all of them??? No...Do I want them yes
I purchased a Rem 700 7mm-08 in a mountain rifle 12 years ago for my son when he was 10,that 08 has bee a great little cartridge with very good accuracy that has taken many whitetail.

OlCrip

Next time that happens remember this. I'm an old guy so I remember back a few years. Back to when ANY rifle that would do 1" at a hundred was reason for celebration. Back then, any rifle that could do 2 1/2" at that distance was a rifle to be proud of. Amazing the amount of game that was killed by a rifle that would only do 2-3". Just something to keep in mind.

warbirdlover

I guess my statement "best for kids or women" wasn't too bright. Although it is perfect for them due to the light weight and low recoil. But I owned one so what was I thinking? :confused:

gak

That's ok warbirdlover, like a lot of us, you just played football too long without a helmet and it's finally catching up to you :) As you and others suggest, it does *also* make for a great deer rifle for youth and women because of the overall characteristics of the round itself and hence some of the smaller/lighter platforms it can be found in. At the same time, these same features combine with an overall more-effective round than it's smaller brother, the .243--which is even more often thought of for those just starting out or of lesser physical stature--to make it one of the perennial great all-round/do-all mid-size game rifles. Best of just about all worlds in a rifle/cartridge.