Do I Need to use FFL to ship a receiver?

UtahHunting

I am looking to sell my 10/22 receiver/action and I believe this is consider the firearm portion meaning I need to use an FFL? Is this correct? It is also a small piece, can I ship Priority mail to an FFL or does it need to go UPS ground?

Also is there any paperwork I need to put on the outside of the package when shipping to the buyers FFL?

Thanks for clarification.

dogtown tom

UtahHunting I am looking to sell my 10/22 receiver/action and I believe this is consider the firearm portion meaning I need to use an FFL?
If you are shipping interstate you must ship only to a licensed dealer (an FFL). There is no requirement to have a licensed dealer ship it for you.
Be aware that some dealers refuse to accept shipments from nonlicensees (you).

It is also a small piece, can I ship Priority mail to an FFL or does it need to go UPS ground?
Only a licensed dealer or manufacturer can mail a firearm other than a rifle or shotgun. This means you cannot mail a receiver as it is not a rifle. You would be required to use a common carrier (UPS/FedEx). Both require handguns to go Overnight/Next Day, but a receiver is not a handgun so you could ship it via Ground.

Also is there any paperwork I need to put on the outside of the package when shipping to the buyers FFL?
Federal law prohibits anything on the outside of the package that identifies the contents as a firearm. Virtually all dealers will require a copy of your drivers license to be enclosed with the firearm. It would be a good idea to make sure the receiving dealer knows that you are shipping him a receiver and be sure to include the buyers name and phone number inside or outside the box.

BigD_in_FL

IF the receiving FFL will accept a shipment from a non-FFL, you can ship it via Fedex or UPS - (as a non-FFL yourself, you cannot use USPS)

IF the receiving FFL will NOT accept shipments from a non-FFL, you will need to use one on your end. He CAN use USPS for this shipment

carguychris

I am looking to sell my 10/22 receiver/action and I believe this is consider the firearm portion meaning I need to use an FFL? Is this correct?
Yes, you are correct.

FYI the serial-numbered part is legally considered to be the firearm.

Regardless of the shipment method, ALWAYS make sure that the receiving FFL is willing to accept firearm shipments from a nonlicensee! Although federal law allows a FFL to accept such shipments, some FFLs choose not to do so because to the legal hassles that may ensue if (a) the firearm turns out to be illegally modified and/or (b) the shipper's identification is illegible or missing, thus preventing the FFL from recording the origin of the item as required by law.
AFAIK you are not legally required to label the exterior of the package if it is being shipped to a FFL. However, many FFLs will reject packages that aren't clearly labeled with a return address, or if they don't recognize who the shipper is; see above.

Dfariswheel

To be a little more clear about labeling.

You should put your name and address on the outside of the package, and the full address of who you're shipping it to.

DON'T put anything outside that might indicate the package contains a gun.
If the person you're shipping to is "John's Gun Shop" use "John's Shop" or "JGS" or something else similar.

Put a paper inside with the gun with your name and address and the persons full address. This is so if the package label is damaged the shipper can still find you.

BigD_in_FL

When I have shipped guns to a FFL. I have always addressed the package to:

the actual buyer

C/o the actual FFL person's name

Address

City, State, zip

This gives the FFL a name of the buyer, it keeps any word like "gun" or "sports" off the package. Fedex will look up the address and they can tell the business name, but that is at the drop off point, not to anyone else while in route