Do I need to give the SP101 a second chance?

Zzeke

Years ago (probably close to 3 decades ago) I acquired a brand new SP101 in a trade deal. I immediately noticed that the grip screw was too long and protruded threw the nut on the other side of the grip. It was enough that I could feel it while gripping the gun normally. At this point it was mildly aggravating. I took it to the range, and the first time I fired it, the screw put a pretty good gouge in my hand! I know I could have shortened the screw myself, but I was so aggravated that I sold the gun the next day. I have other Ruger revolvers, and I love them, but I never looked back as far as the SP101 goes.....until now. Everywhere I look, I see nothing but love for the SP101. Am I missing out? Do I need to give the SP101 a second chance?

TX Nimrod

The OP hated his “new” SP-101 because the grip screw was too long? Stay away from the Ruger, the next one might have the hammer grooves cut too deep or the caliber stamp might be too shallow.....

Seriously, the SP-101 is in general a fine revolver. I’ve had my 4” for over 25 years and shoot it regularly - it’s going with me next week into the desert. Give one another try.

Kreyzhorse

They are well built, excellent guns.... a long screw isn't a reason to disregard a gun from a maker that you like.

I own an SP, to be honest, the trigger was gritty as hell. That was a reason to disregard them. However, after drying firing it about 500 times, the trigger really smoothed out and it's a great gun for what it is.

Zzeke

I'll start keeping my eye out for a good deal on a new SP101 to come along. This time, if the grip screw is too long, I'll take care of it myself. :)

Doyle

As a corollary note, I found that the factory grips were poorly shaped (at least for my hand). It made the trigger guard bump against my middle finger when shooting. I switched out the factory grips for the Hogue grip and I find that they fit my hand much better.

rock185

I've owned an SP101 for several years now and like it a lot. So much so, that it would be one of the last revolvers I'd want to sell. There are certainly lighter/smaller little 5-shooters to choose from though. I have a few of those, but still like the SP101 better. I hear reports about heavy rough/gritty trigger pull. The factory trigger pull on mine is heavier than the S&W J-frames, Ruger LCRs, etc. but smooth. No grittiness whatsoever. Perhaps I just got lucky with this one...

Mine is in 9MM, and handles any and all of the many types of ammunition I've tried without issue.

Attachments

• SP101.JPG
    SP101.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 46

JJE

I kept mine longer than I should have because it was nice-looking and they generally get great reviews. However, the trigger is pretty heavy and the grip-to-trigger distance just didn't fit my hand, even after trying 3 or 5 different aftermarket grips. I could never shoot it very well.

Now I have a similar-sized Kimber K6s that holds 6 rounds instead of the Ruger's 5, and that has the best stock DA revolver trigger I've felt in over 30 years of shooting revolvers.

artoo

I own two SP-101s.

One in .327 Federal magnum. That's fine as one can shoot other .32 caliber rounds like the .32 H&R magnum, and .32 S&W Long ammo. This makes for a versatile gun and ammo combo.

The other is a 3" barreled one in .38 Special. This one is used but in excellent condition. Both make great carry pieces for CCW carry.

If you have one it should serve you well.

Buckeye!

I have historically bad luck with SP101’s .. but having said that .. Im always think about trying it again .... it is a great format ... my LCR357 & Charter 357mag Professional has healed the itch for now