Do I need to anneal?

Red_Eagle

I just got done making 8mm Mauser out of 270 Winchester. Is it necessary to anneal them? My 1st time case forming.

RaySendero

Red_Eagle asked:

Do I need to anneal?

I just got done making 8mm Mauser out of 270 Winchester. Is it necessary to anneal them?

Red_Eagle,

If I understand what you've done:
1) Set the shoulder back 120 thousands
2) Shortened the case 300 thousands
3) Expanded the "neck" 40 thousands where 80 thousands of the new neck will part of the original case's neck and 220 thousands is some part of the original case's shoulder.

I, personnally, would have just bought new 8x57 cases.

But since that is now "water over the dam",
I'd say - YES anneal them.

saands

They also might need to be reamed if you seat deeper than the old neck ... the brass thickness will certainly be different there. :(

Saands

amamnn

I've read recommendations from some successful wildcatters that annealing before and after is the ideal. I did some, annealing before, and without annealing after, um, before I read that and the cases worked ok. Now I anneal before and after. It's been too recent to see any difference in case life but, as mentioned above, it never hurts to anneal, if you do it right.

I don't really see the reason for annealing before unless the case has been previously fired. New brass comes from the factory already annealed. If you hold it up to the light at the right angle, you can usually see a slight change in color where the annealing stain was washed off.

If you overheat the case during annealing, the brass will get softer, and I suspect some wildcatters may have found that was good to do at the beginning to increase the malleability of the metal for ease of forming. Just be aware that it also reduces the tensile strength of the brass when you do that, and, ironically, that strength reduction can lead to premature splitting.