Do Gun-Socks harm firearms

Pahoo

In the Question and Answer section in a leading Outdoor magazine, the question was asked about the harm that a silicone gun sock, might do to a firearm. The answer given, was to "never" store a rifle, in a Gun-Sock and that the rifle should be allowed to breath. I do not store rifles in Silicone gun-socks but do have some handguns in them. I really don't see a problem and as they say; What say, Y'all ???

Be Safe !!!!

bobn

humidity hovers around 65 percent here. the socks help prevent nicks scratches and small dents. never had a rust problem. I am a rig freak though.

Ricklin

I like em

I keep em on my guns in the safe, prevents "safe dings" have never had an issue.
Next time you buy new electronics save the little silica gel packets. Toss em in the gun safe. Take them out once a year and put in a 200 degree oven for a couple of hours.
Your gun safe will be Sahara desert dry inside. I live in a very humid place no rust on my guns.

Blindstitch

I use them for nick protection too and when I wipe down my guns with Breakfree CLP and put them in the sock I have never seen anything bad happen to them.

A golden rod will also cut humidity in a safe or cabinet.

jmr40

I wouldn't use them long term. They do attract moisture and will hold it. I've seen lots of older guns ruined by them.

FITASC

I have them on every gun in my safe - long and short term, handguns and long guns. It is humid where I live, but with the Golden Rod and three box desiccants, no issues.

fourbore

I have and continue to use socks, but; that does not make it a good idea. I have recently become aware of the harmful effects of silicon on wood stocks. Google that. This is a good question and valid concern. I think there is good cause for doubts. I still use the socks. Those of us who don't actually understand, might want to consider this. My impression is the damage from silicon is real, slow and long term. But, the sad part, I dont know about these socks in any practical terms.

Not knowing is a bummer. It seems we might be better served with some kind of non-petroleum grease or synthetic wax treated sock. Something safe for both wood and steel.

One added line of defense is to put a good wax finish on the wood prior to storage. I hear good thing about Renaissance Wax. Google that.

The socks can breathe, moisture should not be trapped or blocks out. I keep a meter and light bulb in the safe to monitor moisture near 50%. I also have these rechargeable desiccant devices that absorb moisture, change color and then can be plugged in to dry out. I keep a good eye on moisture. The socks prevent dents also keep my finger oil off the metal when moving guns around. I hate to give that up.

rebs

I have been using them for years to keep guns in my safe with no problems at all. I also have a golden rod in the safe along with a moisture absorbing beads in a can.

Slopemeno

I know a guy who stores a couple of hundred guns in silicone-treated gun socks, and he doesn't seem to have any issues.

Has anyone here ever had an issue re-finishing a stock due to the presence of silicone that came from a gun sock?

FITASC

If you have any concern about the silicone, just wash the socks a few times and that issue goes away. I use them more for ding protection than rust protection.

TRX

I bought a pack of rifle socks, but was only able to manage to work them onto a couple of non-scoped rifles. I found out there were "large" socks, so I bought some of those. I was able to get one onto one of the scoped rifles (just an ordinary scope, not some benchrest monster) with about five minutes of work.

The large socks work okay for the non-scoped rifles. The standard socks... I don't know what they're good for; they're in one of the "stuff" boxes.

fourbore

I bought a pack of rifle socks, but was only able to manage to work them onto a couple of non-scoped rifles. I found out there were "large" socks, so I bought some of those. I was able to get one onto one of the scoped rifles (just an ordinary scope, not some benchrest monster) with about five minutes of work.

The large socks work okay for the non-scoped rifles. The standard socks... I don't know what they're good for; they're in one of the "stuff" boxes.

For any rifle with a scope I use AR-15 socks. The standard socks are good for shotguns.

Picher

First, all my guns have a coat of Turtle Wax F21 auto polish on all metal parts. That prevents moisture getting to metal. Bores get a final patch with Break-Free on it. (Rifle muzzles are protected with electrical tape when hunting.)

I've never had a spot of rust on any gun after that treatment, even when they're borrowed and hunted in the rain. (I don't hunt in the rain anymore.)

My safe has air-drying gel, but I also check room humidity and turn on a dehumidifier when moisture exceeds 50%.

We don't clean .22LR rimfire bores often, since bullet wax does a good job of protecting bores, but no centerfire gets put away with a dirty bore.

I wouldn't use them long term. They do attract moisture and will hold it. I've seen lots of older guns ruined by them.
Not silicone impregnated socks. I'd throw away any old cotton ones if I had them.

I would expect trouble from most gun oils and rust preventatives when refinishing. If the stock has a decent top coat I don't see there being much problem with silicone gun socks.

Skans

I use a gunsock on my Savage 30-06 and my Beretta Gold Pigeon O/U. I have had no problems whatsoever and have been using them for over 5 years. These are quality newer style gun socks; I don't know what they are made of, however. In any event, they protect these two long guns quite nicely.

dvdcrr

I have them on every gun in my safe - long and short term, handguns and long guns. It is humid where I live, but with the Golden Rod and three box desiccants, no issues.

With a goldenrod and three box desiccants you could probably keep the gun safe in your shower and not have any problem.

fourbore

With a goldenrod and three box desiccants you could probably keep the gun safe in your shower and not have any problem.

Until the guns all fall over on top each other and slam against the porcelain! Then you see the added layer of protection can be good to have.

doofus47

I have a couple shotguns and pellet guns in gun socks both inside the garage and the house and they've fared very well. Colorado, low humidity.